arowana yawning

aro7

i was watching my arowana today, and seen him yawn 2-3 times...

what is your take on arowana yawning?

Marowana420

i read somewheres, when a fish yawns its flushing out its gills. to my understanding, its kinda like flushing out your air filter.

Joey

Generally they will yawn to increase the ammount of O2 in there system, just like marowana said, flushing out their gills will increase the O2 absorbtion. Too much yawning can indicate low dissolved oxygen or a temperature problem, or even a need for a water change due to high nitrates. Occasional yawning is normal.

aro7

i usually notice it yawn after a water change...

heres another thing i see my aro doing, turning head back as to look at its tail n then burst forward...looks kinda cool, but just wanna make sure its not out of the norm...

Joey

sounds normal... may have gotten a bit scared by its own tail. As long as hes not trying to leap out of the water over and over(in an attempt to shake off any parasites) or smashing himself into the glass, then it sounds normal to me.

DaiDee

Too much yawning can indicate low dissolved oxygen

That's what I've heard when it comes to other fish. Lack of oxygen. Thing is, fish would usually be heading towards the surface looking like they're are gasping for air. I don't think that's happening for you.

In your case, I would think you have enough airstones going. It's been a few weeks since I've seen your setup so I don't know what you have running now.

If you're saying it's usually after a WC, then it's probably breathing in the new fresh water.

aro7

hmm maybe he has parasites? obviously they are not any visible ones, bc ive examined him and i dont see anything out of the norm....but lately i noticed he does rub himself along the glass and hes tried leaping out of the water a few times n scraped his face....his appetite hasnt been normal either...

ive done a 20% wc, raised the temp to 82 slowly, and added salt...
any other adivice?

Yuppa

Super Moderator
aro yawn, its not something to be concerned about..
If they have parasite, you will see them rubbing.
If oxygen is low, you will see then "panting"

Joey

If always after a water change, then this could also indicate that his gills are irritated from the newly added water. Yawning could be an attempt to flush his gills. Could have something to do with any additive that you are OR are not adding. If you notice that after a few hours he has stopped, then its probely because what ever was in the water has dissapated by then.

you shouldnt really notice any change in activity pattern in your fish after a water change if you are doing enough and correctly(temp the same, water treated ,ect..)

I highly doubt its parasites.

Last edited:

aro7

thanks for the input...im just highly paranoid newbie =)

when doing wc, i just add prime and a bit of aquarium salt.

Joey

Being paranoid can be a good thing. It leads to doing research on the subject in most cases. Nothing wrong with that.

Your WC regime sounds about right. Using prime is a good choice. Make sure you use enough of a dosage each time. Generally, after you drain the tank to the required level, adding half the dosage befor you start to refill the tank, and the the rest after the tank is full is a good idea.

good luck with the aro!