canister filter question

cape

I currently have a 180gal with sump that consists of bio balls, spongies, and ceramic rings. I am looking at adding a Fx5 canister filter and wondering what media to use is best? I was thinking some floss and bacteria house. Would carbon be a good idea, or any other suggestions or alterations? Thanks.

DragonD

I have about the same thing. But in my FX5 I use Fluval media. Some Carbon some floss and some bio max. I have been thinking about adding some k1 to the filter but I havent as of yet.

chen88

Super Moderator
I've had in the past with a 180gal tank had 2 fx5s. One fx5 was filled with sponges for mechnical filteration and the other with ehiem bio medio for that biological cultivations....worked well but if there is a sump opportunity then jump at the sump, otherwise fx5's are great filters!

cape

My tank already has a sump. Want to add a fx5 for more mechanical filtration. So would floss, bacteria house and carbon ok? Or should I switch things around?

chen88

Super Moderator
My tank already has a sump. Want to add a fx5 for more mechanical filtration. So would floss, bacteria house and carbon ok? Or should I switch things around?

put in pot scrubbers or sponges...don't put in floss as they can potential get caught in the pump part of the fx5 when the floss breaks down. You don't really need carbon....so if it's for mechanical you can use sponges, pot scrubbers and ceramic rings.

skynoch

With the fx5's I actually use the ehiem media. There are circular pads from the ehiem classic that fit well in the fx5 that are easy to clean and replace. You can also use the biomedia as long as it's in a bag which is superior to the fx5's and also use the ceramic rings from ehiem to start the breakdown of waste.