Chili red update

frozen-fire

Hey guys...

It's been a long time since I've posted photos of my fish. Some of you may recall that I had a community going on with my red and a black. Things were good for a year or so, but one day things went bad and I had no choice but to give up the black. I brought it to a LFS and had it sold off to someone with an adequate setup/space.

Now my chili resides in a 180 all alone with a couple of tigers, some polypterus, and a flagtail.

It's so frustrating taking pics of this fish because they never turn out right. All the other fish, I can photograph fine and capture the right colours, but the pics I take of my red just doesn't do it justice... there's a lot more colour to the fish that I can't capture....any tips from the photo pros? Perhaps my lighting is too bright? I have double T5 HO.

IMG_2137640x480.jpg

IMG_2096640x480.jpg

IMG_2116640x480.jpg

IMG_2129640x480.jpg

IMG_2131640x480.jpg

IMG_2079640x480.jpg

IMG_2089640x480.jpg

IMG_2083640x480.jpg

IMG_2082640x480.jpg

carcrazy

The pictures look pretty nice to me, a lot better than the ones I take! I am also using quad Tec T5 lighting in my tank but it doesn't look as bright as yours with 2. I guess my cover glass must be dirtier than yours!:eek:

I also have an endli bichir and I have read that it not so good to have them in gravel as they can swallow a piece and die. Have you had your bichir with gravel for long? I was going to use the same kind of substrate as yours (size wise) and was wondering if I should switch to pool filter sand. And again, nice looking tank.;)

glockner99

I had sand in one of my tanks and it played havoc on my filters....The problem is if you have a fish that kicks up the substrate (ie CatFish) you'll be dealing with filter issues. Thats just my experience....

The pictures look pretty nice to me, a lot better than the ones I take! I am also using quad Tec T5 lighting in my tank but it doesn't look as bright as yours with 2. I guess my cover glass must be dirtier than yours!:eek:

I also have an endli bichir and I have read that it not so good to have them in gravel as they can swallow a piece and die. Have you had your bichir with gravel for long? I was going to use the same kind of substrate as yours (size wise) and was wondering if I should switch to pool filter sand. And again, nice looking tank.;)

frozen-fire

Thanks guys...

The bichirs have been through everything... sand, pebbles, normal sized gravel, and now this smaller sized gravel.
I have never had any problems with them ingesting the substrate. Once in a while, I will see them inhale a whole bunch of gravel along with the food, but they know to spit out the hard stuff before swallowing :).

I've never had any polypterus die on me.... (knocks on wood)

frozen-fire

Wait...
I just totally lied on that last statement.
I lost two polypterus ornatipinnis a few years back. Strange as I did not find the reason why they died and the other species were not affected. I'm sure it was not related to substrate ingestion though. They died a few days apart, and everyone else was fine.

EKen

Super Moderator
Colors look a bit pale, but body size and proportions look very good with no defects. I also noticed that he is not really crossed yet. Personally, I rather have a less colorful piece with no defects. I guess that is the fun of keeping Reds... Just be patient and wait for the thing to bloom :)

You changed the tank? The Endie stripes look real good too.

carcrazy

Thanks guys...

The bichirs have been through everything... sand, pebbles, normal sized gravel, and now this smaller sized gravel.
I have never had any problems with them ingesting the substrate. Once in a while, I will see them inhale a whole bunch of gravel along with the food, but they know to spit out the hard stuff before swallowing :).

I've never had any polypterus die on me.... (knocks on wood)

Thanks guys. I guess I'll keep the gravel after all. :D

frozen-fire

Yeah, the tank was changed. Moved from a 120 to the 180. This was about a month ago.
I agree that it is a pale looking red... and regarding proportions, I find that my fish looks like it's a little longer than most reds I see. As if it's been stretched a bit haha. Ah well.. just gotta wait and see what happens :)

EKen

Super Moderator
"It's a little longer than most I see"... Yeah I think I heard my gf said that before also :D