Cycling is the new golf

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I know some of you out there are into fast cars or knarly off road trucks, but bikes - as in bicycles - might deserve another look. Recently I have heard the same quote from two different sources (one a lawyer, the other a businessman): Cycling is the new golf. Think about it, bikes come with a whole conusmer type sub-culture along with different cycles (road, mountain, hybrid), gear (components, clothing) and travel (races, events, touring). Add to this the yearly upgrades and updates, and you have a hobby that allows one to spend as much or as little as one likes. Kind of like tropical fish. :) Add to this the fact that cycling is environementally friendly (unlike golf with all its herbicides and water wastage), is perfect for physical fitness, and very exciting (try going 70+ km down winding hills), and you have a near perfect hobby.

Check out the following article for more inspiration: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...-ecstasy-of-3-200-bicycle-jason-h-harper.html

exoticaquaria

ive been biking quite a bit lately. great workout! usually from robson and cambie area to ambleside and back. since its summer, a nice refreshing pint of beer before the ride back home lol.

I know some of you out there are into fast cars or knarly off road trucks, but bikes - as in bicycles - might deserve another look. Recently I have heard the same quote from two different sources (one a lawyer, the other a businessman): Cycling is the new golf. Think about it, bikes come with a whole conusmer type sub-culture along with different cycles (road, mountain, hybrid), gear (components, clothing) and travel (races, events, touring). Add to this the yearly upgrades and updates, and you have a hobby that allows one to spend as much or as little as one likes. Kind of like tropical fish. :) Add to this the fact that cycling is environementally friendly (unlike golf with all its herbicides and water wastage), is perfect for physical fitness, and very exciting (try going 70+ km down winding hills), and you have a near perfect hobby.

Check out the following article for more inspiration: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...-ecstasy-of-3-200-bicycle-jason-h-harper.html

chen88

Super Moderator
A buddy of mine is an crazy about cycling. He has been trying to get me to get into road bikes. I purchased a hybrid giant road/mountain bike 2yrs ago which had about 10km at most and then sat in the garage. He's now got me looking at road bikes between 3-5k. Last week he made a bet that I didn't think he was going to do, ride his bike to my house for dinner while his wife drove. He actually did it (75km)....for that I told him I'd consider looking. His bike weights 8lbs, absolutely light weight. My bike is at best 30lbs....not the lightest but not bad..lol

I'm going bike shopping with him next weekend. Been looking on kijiji and eBay. Going to some get fitted for so e bikes next week.

What are you guys riding?

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
For my road bike, I've got a 2006 Trek 5200, carbon fibre, full Shimano Ultegra group. The frame was made in the USA. This bike continues to be produced under the new name of Trek Madone 5.2. I paid about $2500 back in 2006, got it on sale. It would normally come in at $3000-4000 now. I have logged over 15,000 km on this bike and really like it.

My commuter is an old mountain bike that I turned into a hybrid by swapping out some parts and putting on road tires (slicks).

If you get a new road bike Chen, I would really recommend a carbon fiber frame along with Shimano Ultegra group set (deraillers, brakes, shifters, cranks, etc.). Also, and this is really important - spend an extra $100-200 and get the bike fitted to your body dimensions by a trained bike fitter. Many bike shops will waive the fee if you purchase the bike through them. Some physiotherapists also offer a fitting service. One I would recommend in the lower mainland of BC is Tyler Dumont of Physiomoves.

It sounds like your friend is a pretty serious cyclist Chen, so I am sure he can help steer you in the right direction.

chen88

Super Moderator
thanks theo. I would definitely go with getting it fitted....we will see..might have to sell a couple rays to pay for it! lol

chen88

Super Moderator
Went to the Toronto Bike show yesterday....I was lucky enough to not come out with a bike! LOL...most of the bikes I had my eyes on ranged between 7-12K. There were guys paying for 19K bikes....amazing how the economy is in Toronto. A husband and wife both picked up the same bike a specialized mclaren Venge...at $19K (+ HST 13%)...gave out their Credit cards...put down 50%....thats 2 honda civics!.

The 19K bike...
velodramatic_specialized_mclaren_venge_5071_600.jpg

Theo...this is the one I'm eyeing...with all the components and adding on Mad fibre carbon wheel set and di2's....it's probably going to be around 12-14K. and Yes I would definitely going to be fitted first...the $250 to get fitted is well worth the price...might end up with a different bike if after my fitting the geometry doesn't match with with Cervelo S5...also a great bike that my buddy just picked up is a Storck Absolutist 2012...he had it fitted and just picked it up last week with all the upgrades...ended up costing him just under 11K and weights in at 13lbs.

Cervelo S5
cervelo-s5-bike.jpg

Here's the Storck Absolutist 2012.....great German bike
Storck-Absolutist-2012.jpg

Have a look at these extremely sick carbon wheels. The hubs and spokes are all carbon!. $3K so try not to crash them!...but if you do, they will give you 50% off a second set! LOL.....

PR3C10000_alt1_alg.jpg

mad_mad_fiber_wheels.jpg

Last edited:

exoticaquaria

holy crap. those bikes are expensive! well i guess thats what people think of our fish/hobby too lol. i would not park any of those bikes on a bike rack hahaha.

chen88

Super Moderator
Lol, and it doesn't come with a kick stand! Lol

These bikes are meant to ride in a pack so someone can keep an eye on it if you need to go to the washroom.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Bikes like that come with a "don't let it out of your site" invisible lock. :)

Get a good titanium or carbon frame, go for full Shimano Ultegra group, and you can get an awesome bike in the $4000-5000 range. Go up to Shimano Dura Ace group set and you can add another $1000-2000; beyond that it really starts to become fashion statement. At least it is a healthy fashion statement. Amortize the cost out over 5 years and subtract health club membership fees and you can rationalize the cost of an expensive bike. Or so I tell myself. :rolleyes:

Some of those bikes you highlite are real works of art Chen, would look great mounted on a wall. :)

chen88

Super Moderator
I was looking at the dura ace di 2 grouping...the Mad Fibre wheels are nice but so are Mavic's...unfortunately for me and what time I can put into the bike it might as well be mounted on my wall! lol....we'll see if I get suckered into getting one too...