Diet for stingrays

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
Just picked up a second female marbled motoro and am currently feeding earthworms. My big female seems to prefer earthworms to shrimp as well, so I am splitting a flat of worms with a friend.

Are earthworms a viable long term staple for stingrays? If so, is there a specific food for the worms to make them more nutritious?

If worms are not viable as a staple what else is recommended other than market shrimp?

m_class2g

Sponsor
ive been feeding smelt to my rays. they are taking them whole. no mess either. worms and prawn can get expensive.

Boydo

I have my rays on NLS Wafers. Great growth and color. I have grown out several rays with this food and have had great results everytime. Sometimes it can be a little tricky getting them started on pellets. Throwing in some wafers (break them in half for smaller rays) first then come back in 30 minutes and top off with MP or fish fillets. In time you can cut out the frozen foods once they all are taking the pellets.

RDFISHGUY

My BDL still won't eat the wafers. Eats the 3mm like crazy though. I think the wafers are a better choice because they are easier for the rays to find if you have gravel.Oh well. At least my plecos get lots of wafers since the other fish haven't acquired a taste for them yet.

JMorash

I would suggest mixing it up a bit, worms are pretty good for them, but they still need more to their diet. Smelt is good for their digestive systems, krill and whole shrimp are great source of calcium and protein, and if you can get your rays on a prepared diet it levels everything else out. Other than that I've always had good success with scallops, haddock, bloodworms, blackworms, NLS pellets and massivore pellets.

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
Thanks for the feedback, guys!

J, when you say prepared diet, are you talking about pellets or a homemade blend?

JMorash

I think you can raise rays on just shrimp, or worms, or haddock. But like anything a mixed diet with make you ray happier and healthier. I'm pretty sure I could grow up eating nothing but PB + J on whole wheat and orange juice but I don't know how good it would be for me haha.

Jerry - I meant high quality pellets however I was making my own prepared diet for a while. It was ground beef heart, shrimp, apple snails (shell and all), smelt, spirulina, and dark greens. I also used to add liquid vitamins that were meant for fish. It was a spin on a diet I used to make for my discus and earth eaters (just added the smelt because they are so good for rays). I would just freeze it in flats then break off pieces and chuck it in. However it became way too messy so I gave it up when I gave up keeping discus. I honestly don't know how beneficial the greens were, but I figure the rays are missing out on some nutrition from the stomach content of their natural prey.

Anyways good luck with your rays!

JMorash

PS - I guess I'm spoiled here on the East coast so I forget about prices. I can get 5 pounds of silver sides for 10 bucks, I can get a grocery bag full of smelt for free (I'm from a long line of fishermen, so my uncles and cousins are still in the family business). My uncle brings me garbage bags of scallops a couple times a year. Otherwise I just go to the super market and get all the stuff they freeze at the end of the week (or every few days) for a decent price.

Sorry to brag... well kinda hahaha...

bcarlos

PS - I guess I'm spoiled here on the East coast so I forget about prices. I can get 5 pounds of silver sides for 10 bucks, I can get a grocery bag full of smelt for free (I'm from a long line of fishermen, so my uncles and cousins are still in the family business). My uncle brings me garbage bags of scallops a couple times a year. Otherwise I just go to the super market and get all the stuff they freeze at the end of the week (or every few days) for a decent price.

Sorry to brag... well kinda hahaha...

Bastard :D

I have family out East, and the availability and price of seafood is pretty great. Lobster is still damn expensive, though.

JMorash

Nahhhhh we still get garbage bags of the friggers for free sometimes. Just don't buy them from the super markets, gotta find the creepy old men on the side of the road selling them right off the boat!