Does anybody keep their lights on 24/7??

G_sharky

Hey Guys,....I posted a topic about my fish being really skitish on arofanatics and some people adviced that I keep my lights on 24/7 or atleast have a light on all the time??? will this actually help my aro to be more calm??? this past week have been really hectic to me as my aro got scared of something and become really jumpy and lost it's appetite and last night tried to jump out and drop a scale on it's back near the head...Would having lights on all the time have bad effect on other fish like IT and clown loaches.....thanks....

T1KARMANN

i was thinking about turning the lights on 24/7 to try to stop the aros fighting

but i changed my mind as i thought it may stress my rays out

homebrewed

Super Moderator
I used to have my tank on a timer and had a very regular schedual of light and then a few days it malfuntioned and my fish got about 5 extra hours of light and I noticed it made him a lot more skittish and frantic. A lot of jumping and injuries happened with the lights being on to long.

Thats just my experience

senthus

where is the light placed on top of your tank? is it in the middle or closer to the front or back?

I had a problem before with my other aro where it was freaking out when I turned on the light and I had the light near the back of the tank.

Once I moved the light fixture closer to the front, it stopped and the fish calmed down a lot.

Kenta

Administrator
Usually fish will calm down in the dark... I wouldn't advise leaving them on 24/7, fish need a rhythm to live by.

I suspect water quality not lighting that is making your aro jump... What are your parameters?

G_sharky

How big is your aro.? How long have you had him? Where is the location you put your tank in the house. See PM

My tank is in the living room where everything is located and where everyone is since it's an apartment......

where is the light placed on top of your tank? is it in the middle or closer to the front or back?

The light is on the top middle part of the glasstop.....

Usually fish will calm down in the dark... I wouldn't advise leaving them on 24/7, fish need a rhythm to live by.

I suspect water quality not lighting that is making your aro jump... What are your parameters?

Water quality is good...0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, nitrates 40 ppm...Weekly 20% WC..

EKen

Super Moderator
When I first started in the hobby, I used to try to collect a lot of information out of Arofanatics.com (and still do), I remember reading that many hobbyists recommended leaving a light on 24/24 at the beginning to help reduce the stress on the aro. So that is what I did, and it seems to work, at least for me...

The emplacement of the tank, the size and the surrounding movements, but also the height of the tank plays a part in the aro behavior. You have to remember that if the tank is low, your head over the top glass of your tank looks a lot like a predator to your fish.

G_sharky

my tank is sitting up high as I made my own stand and it's 33" high....he seems to be okay now and I've added some tinfoil barbs to the mix, but he hasn't shown any agression towards them....I'm thinking of trying to feed him some SW or MW, but I don't want my Aro to get hooked on them cause they are pretty costly and MP is a lot more cost efficient....

endi

for 1 aro.. SW is not that costly... ppl are selling them for $25-35 for 1000 which will take a small aro an eternity to finish

G_sharky

for 1 aro.. SW is not that costly... ppl are selling them for $25-35 for 1000 which will take a small aro an eternity to finish

where do you buy them at this price cause I see some lfs selling like 25 piece for $10....

Anyways my Aro's appetite seems to improve a little, still won't touch pellets but ate more MP and more willing to take them now, not like before where it would completely ignore it....

endi

lucky's , gold ocean , portcredit they all should have it around $35

which lfs has 25 piece for $10????

G_sharky

PJ's and petsmart...might be a little cheaper, but not as good price as those....BTW do they sell them alive??? and how do you keep that 1000 worms from dying within a month or two....

endi

lol. yes all 1000 are alive... you have to feed them. feed them with a variety of things and aro will get its nutrients from it

T1KARMANN

yeh you have to feed the meal worms :D

i feed them carrot pellets apple and spiralina flake food

the carrot or apple are the important things as the meal worms need the water thats in them

G_sharky

Can you keep these worm anywhere or do they need other equipments and stuff??? and do they smell???

T1KARMANN

nothing needed but you have to keep them in a thin layer no deeper than 1inch or they over heat and die

homebrewed

Super Moderator
where do you buy them at this price cause I see some lfs selling like 25 piece for $10....

Anyways my Aro's appetite seems to improve a little, still won't touch pellets but ate more MP and more willing to take them now, not like before where it would completely ignore it....

Are you talking about Silk Worms or Super Worms.

I can see Silk Worms being that much, but super worms shouldn't be much more than 10cents a piece anywhere.

EKen

Super Moderator
SW is one of my favorite food. Well accepted, cheap, easy to conserve, easy to give (not messy like the MP), the only drawback is that it sometimes causes PA (Protruding Anus) in some fishes.