Dreaming about my RED

peterpd99

HI ALL!! I'm Peter from Toronto.
I'm so glad to have found this site...everyone sound so friendly and seems to share the same passion.
I currently have two FH in two 65g tanks.
I've been dreaming/wanting a red aro... the itch is getting to me recently:p
I'm trying to learn more about these fish before I get one....and I will have to get a bigger tank:D
I will definitely keep you guys posted when I get one.
Cheers!!!

Marowana420

hi, and welcome. i used to keep FH, and until 3 months ago i knew nothing about aros. My red is still alive and well, thanks to everyone's advice. I feel that there are enough helpful guys here to answer all your questions, so dont wait, fix that itch.

peterpd99

LOL...great advise!
Yeah...my FHs are giving me too much trouble...too much medication$$$...you know what I mean.
I'll get my aro soon as I can convince my wife...and a bigger tank of course.
I'd heard the aros grow fast...should i wait till it grows then get a bigger tank...or should I get it and house it in my 65g...48x18x18.
thx!

DaiDee

Welcome!

I don't own an aro either but I will eventually! :D

In my opinion, that tank is too small for an aro.
Wait until you can get a bigger tank for it.
It will outgrow a 65gal tank very quickly and you will have to go through the hassel of transfering it to a new tank. Not to mention stressing your fish when it could have been avoided in the first place.

1goodcatch

welcome

I bought my first Asian (RTG) in July 2009 and the a Red 3 Weeks ago :)
Folks on this site are truly helpful
think my Girl Friend is getting jealous that she in not # 1 or 2, but now #3 on the priority list LOL
as for tank Size, I agree go big but at a min 225gal (6X2X2)
I have a 6X2X1.5 and feel its a bit small for these fish
Welcome to AroClub

Marowana420

buy the fish now and dont tell the wife how much you paid. 65g is alot bigger than what they have in the LFS. but i think it will out grow the tank very quickly.

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
Welcome to the site, Peter. :)

I started my RTG in a 6 foot 150 and he was fine up to about 15". I upgraded him to a 6x2x2 and he was in there for a few months before going into an 8 foot 360.

Up until he was 15", the 20" wide 150 was good for him. He hit 18" in the 2 foot wide 180 and while he could swim and had room, every time he got jittery, he started banging lids.

In the 3 foot wide 8 footer, he has only banged lids a couple of times. He swims much more powerfully and shows his colours much better in this tank. :)

My baby chilli is starting life in a 6 foot 125. He's about 11" and is doing just fine so far. I keep the water 3 inches below the lids to avoid him banging the lids. Up to this point, when he gets spooked he swims the length of the tank. I'll setting up a bigger tank in the near future. Probably another 8 footer. :)

Tim, are you reading this? Yew Wing will need help again. :)

carcrazy

Or carrying the finished tank (although I'd help if I was there)!

My green aro is in a 6 foot 165g planted tank and he seems to be hitting the lids quite a bit. He also isn't eating like he used to, only a single super worm per day. The tank is half full of live plants so maybe he's feeling crowded? Maybe I will chance him in my 320 but he is quite a bit smaller than the tankmates (who I think killed my 12" RTG). I don't have room for any more tanks so I guess it's a toss up.

peterpd99

Thanks everyone for your advise...pleasure being here.
You guys are more convincing than ever.
I hope I'll get the fish soon to avoid anymore sleepless nights...LOL
BTW...If such big tank are needed...would it also be wise to use custom built sump filtration??
or would the canisters be sufficient?

FH=flowerhorn

peterpd99

Wow...I don't think I can fit the tank of this size down the basement without my wife noticing it...LOL
it's massive...3x8' dimension??...but you're right...maybe a 6 footer is a good start.
You're fishes are lucky!

DaiDee

That's personal preference. There has been many debates on whether wet/dry sumps rule over canisters or vise versa. Which is why I say it's really up to you.

If you plan on setting up a 6' tank in the future and decide to go wtih canisters, I recommend more than one canister filter (one as a dedicated mechanical and the other biological filtration).

I personally like sumps due to their ability to hide everything and keep the tank clean of clutter. It does require a little more experience to setup a sump properly though. Unlike canisters with their plug and play like feature.

Marowana420

i am planning to setup a 6 footer also, and have been asking around for inputs too. from what i was told sumps will get more bang for your buck. it will get rid of all that crap that is floating on the top of the water surface. heaters, uv lamps can be out of sight.

peterpd99

i am planning to setup a 6 footer also, and have been asking around for inputs too. from what i was told sumps will get more bang for your buck. it will get rid of all that crap that is floating on the top of the water surface. heaters, uv lamps can be out of sight.

Yeah...I'd also did some research and did an estimate...the cost of installing a sump far out weighs any canister...it seems to be more efficient?

Joey

Yeah...I'd also did some research and did an estimate...the cost of installing a sump far out weighs any canister...it seems to be more efficient?

If designed properly, a sump can be more efficient than a canister. I feel any wet/dry is better than a canister in terms of bio filtration however.