Eheim Canister Filter

CHILLI RED

For anyone with an Eheim canister filter what do you put inside it? Just the substrat, efimech, etc? Is there anything else I should use for arowana keeping?

EKen

Super Moderator
Since nobody answered yet, I'll do. I usually put the same things, in an Eheim or any other brand.

For the bio part I use Eheim Substrat Pro. I used to put Fluval ceramic rings, but my "mentor" told me that Eheim was better. And it is actually better (I believe), since I used Eheim Substrat Pro, my water is much clearer.

For the mechanical part, I use Eheim Efhimech, but also Fluval prefilter rings. I feel that the mechanical part is bit less important, and Fluval prefilter rings (which is more cheaper) do an acceptable job.

I usually use only the "big black sponge" for the mechanical part, and not the "white wool". I feel that the white wool gets dirty very quick and needs to be changed often, since you can not only wash it.

I would also invest in an UV Sterilizer, great stuff to keep the aquarium clean and without algae.

CHILLI RED

Thanks EKEN! I use the Eheim substrat pro and the Eheim efhimech also. And I use both the blue pad and the white one. You use a black one you say but I am not sure I have seen this one. I also use a U.V. sterilizer. I was just not sure if there was anything else I should be using.

danfong88

Eheim 2028 ProII filters

anyone using this eheim 2028, I am thinking of purchasing this filter for 100 gallon tank. I am houing a new chilli red aro.

:D

EKen

Super Moderator
Well, imho, I feel that one proII for a 100gallons is not enough. I would go at least for two. And, a 100gallons for a red is a bit small...

h.l_nathan

that i have to agree with eken I house 3 reds with 2 fx5 and 1 2028 and i still dont think its enough. Like rulaifu said there is never too much filtering. Also 100gal is way too small for any aro.

CHILLI RED

I have a 150 gallon tank with 2 2028 Eheim filters. I will use this tank for an aro I will purchase. Later I will upgrade to a larger tank. I really like these filters.

danfong88

so there is no problems with the Eheim 2028 filter, so far and I guess it is easier to clean. I don't have the space for 150 gallon tank.. thus 100 gallon. Maybe later, when I have more space I will upgrade.
As for the classic Eheim like the 2217... I know this technology is proven and works.
I am thinking about purchasing this 2028 at Big Al's for 299.99, any others shops has a sale?

danfong88

you mean the FX-5, 450 gallon hour rate? yes, I know it's good filter... so most aro owners are going towards this model instead the Eheim 2028?

EKen

Super Moderator
When buying a canister filter, imho, you should consider 2 main aspects of the filter:
1) The flow: In this case the FX5 is pretty good, about the double of one Eheim ProII
2) The filtration media volume available: In this department both the FX5 and Eheim ProII are about the same, which is around 6L of media volume available.

Of course, one should also consider the price of the filter, and in some case the additional cost of the filtration media itself. Up here in Montreal, the cost of one FX5 plus its required filtration media cost me about the same as two Eheim ProII. So personally, if I still had enough room under my tank, I would go with two Eheim ProII, which I believe would do a better filtration as you would have two inlets covering more tank area.

danfong88

Yes, I agree, the eheim 2080 is nice filter. I purchase this and I like it. The Fluval FX-5 is rather big.
Thanks the advise!!! I am glad, I did not purchase the FX-5 if the media is double the cost of the eheim.

EKen

Super Moderator
Well what I meant was th FX5 + its required media (if you buy Eheim media, that I trust a lot) cost me about the same as 2 Eheim ProII (media included).

But you can't go wrong with an Eheim ProIII 2080. Great filter.