farms

isjah

ok i'm new to this so could everyone tell me some really good brand names that is trusted so when i go to my lfs i know what to look for. i know alot of people here have Panda, thanks, hope to hear from everyone. oh ya if anyone knows someone gettin out of the hobby and wants to sell their set up, i'd be interested. thanks ahead of time for responding.

m_class2g

Sponsor
where are you located? just look in the buy and sell here or give theo or kenta a pm. they might have some extra panda aros.

isjah

im from toronto, i am interested in know the breeders also, i hear the development of a good aro is mainly in part of good genetics and good care.

m_class2g

Sponsor
lots of good farms but sometimes there will be a great fish from a specific farm or a so so quality one. its ultimately up to you to decide on the fish in the end of the day. i say read up on the net on how to choose an aro or ask here. depends on which type of aro you are looking for, there will be certain characteristics to look for.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
There are some photos of Elkindo fish on this website. I'd buy an Elkindo.
:) I met up with Edo (the owner) down in Jarkarta last year. I think he did an exclusivity agreement with some guys out your way near Toronto, and so I can't import from them :( . From what I have seen of Elkindo fish on this site, and in person in Indonesia, they are nice fish. Now, having said that, you get what you pay for. If you buy a five inch Elkindo (or any SR for that matter), you can NOT guarantee what kind of fish it will grow up into. That is why SR's with confirmed colour qulalities go for more money. So, buy a bigger Elkindo with confirmed colouration if you can.

There are SO many damn fine fish to choose from, and so many (mostly) good farms. I know what you need... you need a good BOOK to help guide you! And I just happen to have extra copies of Indodragon 4 kicking around...so shoot me a pm and I'll mail you a copy, including postage, for $70. :)

Alterntaively, save the $70 and spend about 15-30 hours researching aros on www.arofanatics.com , www.arowanaclub.com , and of course www.arowanaclub.ca :D

Keep us posted!

isjah

ya thx bro, i've been here for like 3 or 4 days and i've been ignoring my 3 kids and wife and been reading like mad, i know about buying small and its not a sure shot, and i know theres was a big discussion about that andwhat i got out of the post and i agree, i'd like to get a snall fish and know i got it from start and its mine and from what i gather aro's have there own personality so it's going to be exciting, and about the book i'm suppose to get a book from my cuz but if it isn't good look out for a pm from. i'd like to thank everyone for their input and kindness.

m_class2g

Sponsor
i bought several small super red/blood red and chilli red aros and basically ended up buying a larger fish, over 12 inches. just so you know its a good quality fish, spend the extra money and you wont be dissapointed.

kookus

Spending more on a developed fish is better if you want to know what its gonna look like. Some people like me, would rather buy young and grow/develop the first time around. Helps me gain experience on how to take care of future potential champions.

To get back to your question, reputable farms will give you a better chance at getting better quality fish. However buy a fish that you like after studying and looking at pictures from the above websites. You are lucky you live in TO you have more stores that carry many different farms and different types of aros at very good prices. In BC we have fewer choice but great people that help bring in some good quality fish that we must trust to come in healthy and hope they will develop well. So far I have not been disappointed.

Good luck! I hope you post pics of whatever you get and I'm sure with the support on this site and others you will grow a champion.

isjah

tx guys for all the comments, i'm like u, i will take more pride in buying a younger aro and gaining the experience and i will feel more fullfilled, but ya u r also right about the amount of lfs that carries aro's, i went to i think arowana king or whatever its name at steeles n midland i think, by pacific mall, i'm am tellin u it's sick, he (billy) has a sick ass tank and all the aro's in there are his.