Feeders frog breeding project

King-eL

Here are some feeders frogs that I got from the last CV Maju order.

P6050028.jpg

P6050030.jpg

P6050029.jpg

P5260017.jpg
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

King-eL

Awesome, you have experience doing this before or you just hoping this will work?

The first order last year I had a success breeding 12 frogs. But I have to shut down the project as i needed the tank for growing up some baby snakeheads. So I feed all of them. They actually breeds when the water cools down by 9F. So when my water is at 80F, when I turn the heater off in the night time and the next morning by dawn and the temp is at 71F they start to get noisy and that's mean they are starting to mate. When they done mating I raise the temp again and add more water to lower the bio-load to prevent the eggs from growing fungus.

This is the second round but may have to get rid of some of them as the bio-load is just way too much. Will only need a few hundreds of them. I have about 400 less or more in the tank. I bought 600 and some died from the shipment some from stress from the first 2 weeks. Some I use for feeders. Now the remaining are all healthy and eating frozen bloodworms.

Last edited:

bcarlos

Very nice, Earl. I'm looking to do the same over here. Frogs are not difficult to breed, provided you keep their water clean. Let me know if you succeed breeding these large-scale.

keith yoo

may i know what kind of baby snakehead you growing? cos my current project is breeding the rainbow snakehead. thanks for sharing.

King-eL

Very nice, Earl. I'm looking to do the same over here. Frogs are not difficult to breed, provided you keep their water clean. Let me know if you succeed breeding these large-scale.

I may have to get rid of some of the frogs as the ammonia rise up faster and can kill them quick. May just start with 20 frogs in each 30g tank. May have to get more 30g tank as I got about 400+ left and it will be divided into 20 frogs. Going to have to get more 30g tanks.

King-eL

may i know what kind of baby snakehead you growing? cos my current project is breeding the rainbow snakehead. thanks for sharing.

Marulioides
Argus
Gachua
Melosoma
Pulchra
Pleurothalma

will soon have a some albino striata and aurantimaculata

Marowana420

do you keep a filter with your frogs? what are those plastic containers for? how often do you feed them?

is feeding too much frogs bad for my 18" aro? how many is too many?

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Frogs are high in protein, aros really bulk out on them. Fed too many frogs, however, and the aros can get fat. I have read of a post-mortem on a frog-fed aro where the dead aro was filled with too much fat around its liver, not good.

How about doing some research on arofanatics, taking some notes, and collecting a few useful links? Report back and we can make a useful sticky of it for Canadian hobbyists. :)

bcarlos

do you keep a filter with your frogs? what are those plastic containers for? how often do you feed them?

1. If you do keep a filter in the tank, make sure it's an underwater filter. Frogs are especially sensitive to vibrations in the water.

2. As Theo mentioned, frogs are great for bulking your aro, but exercise caution in feeding. Most fish lack the ability to process the fat that is absorbed from high-protein sources like frogs. If overfed, they can develop fatty deposits around the liver (this can also result in drop eye-- overdeveloped fatty deposits behind the eye).

Marowana420

crap... i bought 200 frogs and only 1 aro is big enough to eat them... its gonna cost more to feed the frogs then the aros. what is the lifespan of these frogs anyways?

i only have an airstone for them right now, is that too much vibration?

King-eL

I have no filter in there just air stone. Was gonna add a sponge filter but they are too high for the water level and it makes large bubbles that makes the water wavy. They like calm water and I don't wanna stress them out and they kept on drowning with too much flow. I usually 3-5 frogs to a 6" aro to make it grow faster. But frogs alone should not be the main diet. Pellets are always the best as it got plenty of nutritional value. Just vary the diet.

The plastic container is where I place the frozen blood worms and they grab them from there.

Last edited:

King-eL

crap... i bought 200 frogs and only 1 aro is big enough to eat them... its gonna cost more to feed the frogs then the aros. what is the lifespan of these frogs anyways?

i only have an airstone for them right now, is that too much vibration?

They can live many years in captivity. You can even start breeding some while the rest are being feed to the aro. Lol! With that 200 frogs it can last very long.

aaronc

thats one cool project...

Marowana where about are you in t.o. looking for some frogs as well, let me know if you have too many...

sorry king el kinda hijacked the thread..

King-eL

thats one cool project...

Marowana where about are you in t.o. looking for some frogs as well, let me know if you have too many...

sorry king el kinda hijacked the thread..

No worries not planning to sell any of the frogs at the moment anyway. Need them for my aros to fatten up so it will grow fast.

hondas3000

Earl how big are those frog? if you plan to sell some let me know I want to get my aro some treat as they are doing to well in Comm.

King-eL

Earl how big are those frog? if you plan to sell some let me know I want to get my aro some treat as they are doing to well in Comm.

They are 1-2 inches and most are around 1.5 inches. I think they are too small for your large aros unless you got a whole bunch thrown in there. If you wanna start breeding them you can start with 20 or 50 frogs in a 30g.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
No, don't do feed them to aros under 12 inches in my opinion. If you do, you will be taking a risk.