Feeding Rays Prawns

Graeme

Wondering if people feed there rays prawns with shell on or shell off.
I have been feeding with shell off wondering if my rays are missing out.

chen88

Super Moderator
I've fed mine with shells off, why? I don't really know! lol other than having to scoop out the shells when the rays spit some of them out. If I fed them shells I'd be snipping the tail end off since it's quite sharp.

As for if they are missing anything without the shell....not sure...they might..

rudy

Just wondering if there were any benefits to feeding them the shells.

There is probably benefit but eventually they will get smart and pull the shrimp out of the shells. My suggestion is shell them. Rays hate the shells

DragonD

Anytime I fed them with the shells on they spit the shells out. Like many others Im sure picking shells out of the tank isnt a favorite task. Plus it looks ugly.

babymack

i know with arowana the shell helps with color.. but my rays i also feed shell off as they just spit it out and make a mess anyways...

Raymann88

I buy my shrimp from Extra Foods that are already peeled. They come in a 30 to 40 count and seem to be the right size that you don't need to cut them up for 8"+ rays. Quick and easy to feed.

Skrick

Mine eat shell off too I tried she'll on same thing they just shelled them themselves and left me a big mess to clean also I wondered can you give them the already cooked prawns in the bag anyone tried any difference?

rudy

Mine eat shell off too I tried she'll on same thing they just shelled them themselves and left me a big mess to clean also I wondered can you give them the already cooked prawns in the bag anyone tried any difference?

They won't eat them at first but will eventually and probably will react the same. Superstore used to sell broken shrimp pieces in massive bags I fed all my rays and the shrimp was cooked. They stopped and so did I as cooked seems to be a bit more expensive.....Nothing but the worst for my rays.

Skrick

Lol my wife sits and watches me feed talipia and the prawns and smelt and shakes her head she's like wtf they eat better than us what's wrong with you I just smile and walk away I can't answer her lol but my rays deserve it lmao

Last edited:

skynoch

I buy with shell on and remove the shell. I also buy the shrimp in the frozen blocks. The reason for this is the shrimps texture is changed when frozen out of the shell and I find rays will adapt or start eating shrimp sooner when the texture is better.