female bd leo update

m_class2g

Sponsor
long story short. she almost died due to some weird head growth that happened within 2-3 days. she developed a huge lump on her forehead. funny thing is, not even the experts knew what it was or had ever seen this kind of growth on a freshwater ray. she didnt eat for over a week and didnt move much at all either. now, after 2 weeks, head has shrunken down almost completely and shes recovering nicely.

IMG_0983.jpg

IMG_0984.jpg

to:

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
You are adding to the knowledge base of ray keepers everywhere Mike, so glad it seems to be working out.

So, I guess it is/was not some kind of ray cancer or tumor (as feared at one point), more likely an internal infection of some sort? :confused:

Can you post some photos of the way the ray looks right now?

m_class2g

Sponsor
thanks guys!

at first, nico thought this head lump was some sort of cancer. i thought she would die for sure since no one could help. all i did was daily 25 percent water changes, added salt, ph at 7.5 and temp at 83. seemed to have work... it was all a fluke/trial and error with this ray.

even until now, i have no idea what caused this.

ill keep updating pics as she recovers. hopefully her lump goes away completely and that she will turn darker in colour.

EEYY

thanks guys!

at first, nico thought this head lump was some sort of cancer. i thought she would die for sure since no one could help. all i did was daily 25 percent water changes, added salt, ph at 7.5 and temp at 83. seemed to have work... it was all a fluke/trial and error with this ray.

even until now, i have no idea what caused this.

ill keep updating pics as she recovers. hopefully her lump goes away completely and that she will turn darker in colour.

From page 187 of this book, South American Freshwater stingrays (volume 2), it mentions that it is called a "WART"

That research is done by Frank Zijlmans.