Filtration ----

skynoch

Why? he has a 1 inch Bulkhead. I would venture to guess...it would be right there!!

Not worried about the overflow on the sump but more so about water leaking back through the return pipes if they are lower and too much water draining out of the tank into the sump overflow and when power turns back on you run out of water filling your tank and wrecking the seals on the pump.

rudy

Not worried about the overflow on the sump but more so about water leaking back through the return pipes if they are lower and too much water draining out of the tank into the sump overflow and when power turns back on you run out of water filling your tank and wrecking the seals on the pump.
You are seriously the most advanced Hobbiest in the hobby Scotty....never even contemplated that.

skynoch

Yes!....I've switched off my pump even before putting in the 1" bulkhead and never overflows as I also have a back flow valve on the output into the tank...but with the 1" bulkhead it flows right down into the drain so even with a power outage...and as long as the water is still available...I'll still have water change at 60-70gpd without power since I have my water dripping into the main tank!

Perfect the backflow valve is what I was most concerned about. Make sure to do power failure tests once a month to make sure it's not leaking (very common on some models) or raise your output above the waterline. I joined my outputs to a homemade spraybar.
Great work on the tank and filtration way more time now to enjoy it all.

chen88

Super Moderator
I agree, this is the first time I've not changed my water in a week. It's a little concerning though :)

hustler

Im not gonna lie..... I still do a 30% once a week when i kill the pump and clean the sponges and change the floss.... Peace of mind and rituals never hurt :)
Chen do you have baffels in your sump? Im trying to re do mine as i only have the sponge/bio ball chamber and the rest is all ceramics now and am trying to get a feel for your layout

RDFISHGUY

If you are paranoid get an ammonia alert and some of those quick test strips for nitrate ,nitrite, ph , and hardness. Quick look at the ammonia alert and a quick swish of a test strip and all your worries will fade away.

hustler

What test kits work with prime?
That sounds like a good plan for sure :)
If you are paranoid get an ammonia alert and some of those quick test strips for nitrate ,nitrite, ph , and hardness. Quick look at the ammonia alert and a quick swish of a test strip and all your worries will fade away.

chen88

Super Moderator
well...two weeks running and this is great!...you guys are right...should have done this long time ago but its done...I did do a water change a couple days ago when i changed my filter floss...i'm going to change floss every other week and 30% WC....no biggie considering i'm no longer changing 40% every 3 days!....

hustler

Chen do you have any pics of your sump filled with the new bio home up? Like a full shot to get the feel for water flow ect
I would love to see how you have it set up.