Fronts floating

rudy

I have a swim bladder issue with one of my female frontosas. She floats if she is not swimming. There is no air between the glass top so I am not sure how this happened and she eats only sinking. Anything I can do to fix her?

chen88

Super Moderator
Only heat and salt for now. Bladder problems with fronts are like lpj or de with arrows! Always a chance that they show up.

chen88

Super Moderator
if she's eating and all conditions are good she will live just fine....just will float...it's a very common for fronts unfortunately...seems like every fish has their own weakness. Fronts are deep cold water fish...that's one of the main reasons. Do you have airstones in your tank? ...you will also find that during breeding time fronts often take in air in their mouths and sucks on them like they were eggs...

Anyways...good luck...Temp UP and Salt In and hope for the best!....keeping in mind when treating the front also keep into consideration how those treatments will affect the rest of the tank mates....(Negatively)

Joey

Swim bladder issues tend to reoccur once a fish has had it. It doesn't start for no reason though. They are not genetically dispositioned to it or anything like that. Maybe prone, but it is preventable.

Finding out what caused it will lead to a proper cure. This will also lead to you preventing it in the future.

Good luck.

rudy

Swim bladder issues tend to reoccur once a fish has had it. It doesn't start for no reason though. They are not genetically dispositioned to it or anything like that. Maybe prone, but it is preventable.

Finding out what caused it will lead to a proper cure. This will also lead to you preventing it in the future.

Good luck.

Any thoughts on what that would possibly be?

Joey

In the order i would assume being the cause:

Diet:

Poor nutrition can result in a front having swim bladder issues. What are you feeding them? do you feed your rays and fronts the same thing?

Water temp fluctuating:

During a water change perhaps? or maybe not acclimated well. How do you do your water changes? what is tank temp at?

Secondary from getting beat up by other fronts:

Fronts will beat up other fronts.. small colonies are more prone to an individual getting singled out and taking the most abuse. This can cause issues and damage to the swim bladder.

Any breeding signs?

bacterial or parasitic infections :

Severe cases can cause swim bladder issues.

Did you QT the fronts befor adding them to your tank?

rudy

Diet

I feed it shrimp exclusively however I have only had it for a month or so. Would it happen that quick?

Water

Tank is on a drip a third of the tank a day so doubtful

Bullying?
Maybe

Infection.
Not a chance

Joey

I'm guessing diet...

Bullying is doubtful if your not seeing any aggression... you would know it was happening if it was.

Stop feeding for a few days(3-5). That generally cures it. Other methods are like chen mentioned(temp and salt)

Your best bet is to do this in a separate tank.

When shes back to normal, get them on a good pellet. Hikari cichlid Excel would be my first choice. Comes in sinking formula now, so try that. Good for your rays too. The shrimp is fine, but not exclusively.

Other than that, if she's wild caught, she could simply have a damaged swim bladder from the decompression when being brought up, and she will keep having issues.

agree with motoro
when i kept fronts shrimp caused the float in 2 of mine
so i switched to hikari excel with spirulina which helps them digest food and they never had the problem again