GERRY!!!Looking at new SLR for Christmas

chen88

Super Moderator
Ok...would like to get rid of my old Canon Rebel XT...going give that to my Dad since I would like to upgrade....

Would like to go for the Canon D300S body only...now is where I need the help from folks like Gerry. What Lens and light?

Nikkor AF 60mm f2.8D Micro ??

I'm going to get an extra battery and bag of course but here's what I'm looking at from a lens perspective. I know too many types of specialty lens means money to burn since they often do not get used!..

I like to take close ups often of kids, fish...etc. and also some mid range zoom shots...if there's such a thing. I would love to get a lens that would almost take a 180 shot...but as mentioned that 2 lens would be my max.

so any assistance would be much appreciated to help me get a couple of lenses...one for everyday use, and a specialty one for longer range?

A list of what else I should get would be great too!..types of memory card, flashes.??

chen88

Super Moderator
OK...how soon I change!

After reading reviews for most of the day, I've decided to change route, will now go with the Canon EOS 7D package with a sigma 10-12 lense and a canon EF-S 15-85mm IS Kit.

Plan to pick up in the next day or two.

hondas3000

I was gonna ask you to get canon D7 too, it is a great camera for the price, if I don't get my T1i I would have to for D7. As about lens I would stay away from kit lens for basic lens, If you want pictures to turn out like Gerry then you must go for an L lens. 24-70mm L2.8 it is expensive but right now there is a rebate and maybe you can find a better deal in Christmas. The macro lens is use only if you have fish that is is 3" and under otherwise there is no point getting a macro lens to take picture of Arowana, I have my 100mm macro and I hardly use. To me what take a good picture is the skill and the lens not the camera itself so I would spend more money on the good lens.

chen88

Super Moderator
Ok...good point. The EF-S 15-85mm is is coming with the D7 is on promotion, otherwise if you buy it new it's a 1K cost....but that doesn't mean I need to get it. I can still get the body and then a couple of lenses.

hondas3000

Ok...good point. The EF-S 15-85mm is is coming with the D7 is on promotion, otherwise if you buy it new it's a 1K cost....but that doesn't mean I need to get it. I can still get the body and then a couple of lenses.

This is what you can do. If you think you can resell the kit lens from D7 for the price that make D7 camera alone is cheaper then buying the D7 body only then get it otherwise just get the D7 body only and get the lens. L lens is top quality no kit lens can compare to L series. Either 24-70mm or 24-105mm and 70-200mm with these lens I think for everyday use is not a problem no more.

chen88

Super Moderator
Great! thanks...will definitely look into L series lenses. Not many L series lenses on Henry's or Aden website...hrm..I'll drop by the store to see

chen88

Super Moderator
phewwww these lenses cost as much as the 7D! LOL...the 24-70 L is $1400++ +taxes, and the 70-200 is another $1300! LOL....hrm...

OK...how about if I can only get ONE L series lense...for shooting inside the house, and close ups...all utility type shots...24-70? I'd like to grab a flash so rather not get the extra lense and rather get a flash?

hondas3000

phewwww these lenses cost as much as the 7D! LOL...the 24-70 L is $1400++ +taxes, and the 70-200 is another $1300! LOL....hrm...

OK...how about if I can only get ONE L series lense...for shooting inside the house, and close ups...all utility type shots...24-70? I'd like to grab a flash so rather not get the extra lense and rather get a flash?

you can also buy used equipment from craigslist. A flash is a must for shooting aquarium. It is never cheap but in a long run its pay back.

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
The 7d is a very nice camera, but you'll want to be careful of the lineup of L series lenses with that body. Many of them were really intended for full frame cameras, like the 5d line up. They are almost a waste on dx camera bodies like the 7d because you will have light drop off and vignetting, meaning you will have to crop away the outside portion of the photos anyways. Thats' not to say you can't use them, it just means ask those kinds of questions form someone who knows canons really well. I could give you the right info on the nikon series since that's what's in my bag.

You can get reasonable pics with the kit lens so long as you provide lots of light. But overall, the L series are the cat's meow. The problem as you know is the value. Because they are made for pros who make a living from photography, paying 1.4K for a lens is really a drop in a bucket for those guys.

Do not discount the micro lenses. Yes, they are meant for shooting really small stuff, but they also make great portrait lens from 8 feet away. Lots of my aro pics were actually taken with a nikon 105mm f/2.8 lens, which is considered the best micro lens on the market, bar none. They are also benefits to doing it this way. You can get some wicked depth of field from shooting further away from the tank. Oops, I just let out one of my "tricks of the trade". ;)

I will go on record as saying that the canon 60mm f/2.8 will be just about the best lens you can use in aquatic photography as well as general use. It is very similar to nikon's 60mm. I have that lens in my bag and it totally kicks azz.

What I'm going to suggest you do is go to a genuine photography store and start handling the different bodies you're interested in. Ask about the L series of lenses being used on a dx body, like the 7d. Take your time making this purchase as you will be investing a considerable amount of cash. Once you know what you want, then go looking online for it where the prices are.

Personally, I don't buy online because I deal with Dons Photo. They pretty much match most prices and my customer loyalty has earned me several very good discounts.

I cannot emphasize enough that you should know what you want before you buy it online. Returning camera gear purchased online can be a royal pita. Try not to buy anything from an online store unless they have what you want IN STOCK. If you let them back order your gear, you could be waiting up to 6 months for it, or they might try to pawn off some 3rd party offshore crap on you. Be a smart shopper.

Flashes? If you're really only intending on doing mostly fish photography, a single canon 530 or 430 will do the trick for most uses, including shooting pics of your kids or pets. The thing with canon and their wireless flash system is you need either a transmitter or a cable that basically tethers your flash to your camera. Most cables are only 3 feet long and are rather expensive. Of course I'm hoping you understand that I'm talking about using flash over the tank? This is where Nikon holds an edge. Nikon's wireless system is built into most cameras now and is referred to as "Commander mode". You can get a transmitter like the one I use, but you can fire the nikon flashes wirelessly by simply triggering the flash on a nikon body. They don't all have commander mode, but the higher end models all do.

Canons and Nikons are so similar these days, it really boils down to how the camera feels in your hands. I personally thought the canon bodies felt awkward. That plus commander mode helped me to decide to go with Nikon. Canon has a better line up of lenses, but unless you're planing on spending thousands of dollars on lenses, both companies provide what you need.

I will say that most high end gear retain very good value if you take care of the gear. It's not unusual to have a very good lens for several years and then sell it used for 15% less than what you actually paid for it. They are for the most part built like tanks. Remember, most of this stuff is made for professional use. Day in and day out, removing lenses, lots and lots of shutter actuations and vigorous use when in the field.

As for lenses, try them in the camera store. Really give the 60mm a good try. It will do close ups and it makes an excellent portrait lens. It will also be half the price of that 24-70mm. Zooms are nice, but the fact that it zooms puts it at a disadvantage, imo. It's also meant for full frame cameras, which means that with the 7d, the sensor will not be able to use the lens to it's full advantage.

You're much better off with prime lenses than with zooms. I'd rather have 3 good prime lenses like say a 35mm, 60mm and 100mm than an expensive zoom. Primes simply take better pictures, have less distortion and don't have soft spots like the zooms do. It's inherent since zooms are basically compromised lenses.

God, there's so much info and so many ways to go, lol.

ps-most non-oem lenses are crap. I have tried most sigmas and they are simply not worth it. Tokina makes a wickedly excellent lens in the 11-16 f/2.8 but that's pretty much it and Tamron? Well, let's not even discuss Tamron.

Check out dpreview.com and kenrockwell.com for some good factual reviews on camera bodies and lenses.

chen88

Super Moderator
Thanks Guys....very good reviews and advise to be sure. I've been on Dpreview for the past week intimately so been able to get a lot of info...

LOL.....I've got a headache!

Last edited:

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
Also, you need to know that if you plan to get a camera with HD video, forget Nikon. They simply do not produce HD like the Canons, but here's the trick. Canon video sucks equally unless you're using L series lenses. ;)

Personally, I'd say that if you want to shoot HD video, buy an HD camcorder. ;)

chen88

Super Moderator
I like the HD video capability...wouldn't necessary say that I would use the slr mainly for HD video...I'd say 10% at the most so although the Canon does 1080p vs. the D90 at 720p I'd be looking at getting a HD Cam if I was to do more HD video as you had suggested. Never really like the "Multi Functional" concepts of various technology where they mix 2 major components..ie.. the IPHONE mixing cell and mp3 and emails....call me stupid but that's why I have a blackberrry and a itouch separate...don't need to run out of batteries while listening to mp3's and have no power for the cell! LOL

I think at the end it's how it feels in your hands like you mentioned Gerry. I think there are so many options out there it gets very dizzy. I noticed that 9/10 Nikon users out there list the 50mm 1.4? as a staple lense

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
The 50mm is a staple lens, for portraits. Also because of price, lol. It will work fine but is nowhere near as a sharp as the 60 or 100mm. That's why it's a staple for portrait work though!

Take a pic of a woman's face with both lenses and then ask her which pic she prefers. 9 out of 10 will prefer the pic from the 50mm because it doesn't show the details like micro facial hair that the 60mm will pick up. ;) It puts out a photo that looks softer because it picks up less detail.

You have to remember that most info out there about photography is mostly about general photography. Aquatic photography is very different and often goes against the conventional "laws" of photography.

chen88

Super Moderator
Gotcha!

Here are the two lenses I'm going to look into tomorrow...going to check them out locally here and I like them I'm going to order online through the camerastore as I do save on part of the taxes!....but as you mentioned, I will make sure it's the one I like and feels good in my hands before I order online!.

Canon EF 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM
Canon EF-S 60mm f2.8 USM Macro

hondas3000

Gotcha!

Here are the two lenses I'm going to look into tomorrow...going to check them out locally here and I like them I'm going to order online through the camerastore as I do save on part of the taxes!....but as you mentioned, I will make sure it's the one I like and feels good in my hands before I order online!.

Canon EF 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM
Canon EF-S 60mm f2.8 USM Macro

Smart move :). The feel really do a major part for it. I do most order from Camerastore and BHvideo and never have problem so far. It is a well know for it reputation and they carry full equipments.

chen88

Super Moderator
OK...so spent a few hours today at a couple of henry's, vistek and aden. Here's what I finally picked up....everyone priced matched everyone! LOL

Canon 7D (Body only)
EF 100mm f/2.8 L Macro IS USM
Speedlite 430EX II flash.

That broke the bank so couldn't get another lense for now....I'll pick up a 50mm/60mm lense off kijiji or ebay over the holidays even though they only go for less then $150 new. I ended up and I always do getting the Henry's extended warranties so the lense and 7D is cover now for 4 years.