Grade this fish please

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I asked Maju for a smaller premium SR. The attached photos are of a fish around 20 cm. What do you think? I am wondering if there is a hint of PLJ here or not? Potential for drop eye or not? Smaller size fish carries a wee bit more risk I guess? I suppose a video would be a more sure way to go in grading the fish by long distance.

Sure has nice colour and shine for its size though.

Attachments

• IMG_8055.jpg
    IMG_8055.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 632
  • IMG_8056.jpg
    IMG_8056.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 631
  • IMG_8072.jpg
    IMG_8072.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 633
  • IMG_8073.jpg
    IMG_8073.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 635
Last edited:

homebrewed

Super Moderator
I've only seen about 12 SR in person but I'd say the color is pretty nice for the size. Looks like slight spoon which should stand out with some bulking up, and PLJ? maybe down the line but I wouldn't be overly concerned. It does look like its starting to show some drop eye already for something about 8".

Over all I think its a pretty nice fish depending on the price

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Thanks Tim, I need that kind of objective critique. I asked Jeffrey Maju to choose a fish for me to personally keep. Its been a while since I have kept an arow as a pet, feels like it is time. I am getting a discount, but it is still going to be the most expensive fish I have ever bought for myself. The regular price for a premium including taxes and shipping comes to around $3000.

Looking at the photos again (and again) I wonder about the DE possibility... :confused: so hard to tell just from photos.

In the end I am going to put my faith/trust in Jeffrey to pick a good fish. :)

Last edited:

m_class2g

Sponsor
theo i think its a nice fish but imo, i think maju should be sending you a nicer fish for spending 3000. quite honestly, since you have imported many aros in the past and want to keep a red for yourself, they should take a video of a few high quality srs for u to pick from. i think the fish looks to be bigger than 20 cm. then again pics can be decieving. id also ask for a thick frame red. at around 8-10 inches, its a lot more evident if its going to be thick or thin. i prefer a nice thick thick frame red =)

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
When it is a customer who is the one asking all the hard questions, wanting more video, etc., I find it easier to be pushy on their behalf. When it is me getting a fish on my own behalf, I am a bit more relaxed. In this case, my only real worry judging from the photos is the possibility of DE.

I'll maybe ask him about that.

Concerning the quality of the fish, I am not going to be super aggressive on that score. The show fish that is coming to Canada is going to a good home and to a serious aro keeper. At the end of the day, I still have to kind of mumble to my wife how much I spend on a fish and the $5000 range is out of my comfort zone right now, what with more important things to blow money on these days (stupid porch!). :)

Last edited:

bcarlos

It's funny, I was thinking the exact same thing as Mike. The PLJ could be negligable and DE may be a result of the flash. Would be much easier to determine in a video. What concerns me is how thin he looks-- comparison of body to head, I mean. With colour like that, I'd assume they are pumping him full of quality food, so why is he so thin?

Do you have your heart set on a SR? A high end maju bbxb would be pretty freakin' cool.

Manila Red

In my humble point of view 3k on a maju is very expensive in my part of the world, at 20cm some more ... i would rather go for a well known farm at that price in the line of a munjul f4 or f5, in the canada you get elkindos and niwans im sure they are up the league of the maju.... how about importing from singapores best of the best... with the likes of Imperial vip red or Panglongs red which we all know are hand selected from indos red aswell.... cheers!

James Sananikone

I second Manila Red.

As importer and dealer for CV Maju yourself, the price tag should not be involve in the discussion from the begining.

This baby has potential for sure, no sigh of drop eye for now, but still have a chance because of its age, the jaw looks fine for a Super Red, Slightly PLG but could be classified as thick libs. Beautiful Red cheeks, with green base and thin rim. If you like thin rim and green base this fish is for you.

Personally I prefer dark blue base with thick rim.
Your cost should be < 1.5 to 2K.

This is my opinion...

carcrazy

You guys are much more knowledgeable than I but in my opinion that looks like a very nice fish! I wish my red aro had half that amount of color and my aro is quite a bit larger than that one. For a small fish, I think it looks great.

As per price, I have no idea what is a good one as they seem to vary quite a bit. Everyone thinks I'm insane to pay thousands for a tiny fish anyways. If you like the way the fish looks, go for it. Your own opinion is the one that really counts.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I really like the green on this guy,
when this bad boy grows some more red on him he'll start lookn like christmas

I have always wanted a "classic" green base super red aro. :)

It's funny, I was thinking the exact same thing as Mike. The PLJ could be negligable and DE may be a result of the flash. Would be much easier to determine in a video. What concerns me is how thin he looks-- comparison of body to head, I mean. With colour like that, I'd assume they are pumping him full of quality food, so why is he so thin?

I am looking at another 4-6 weeks before getting the fish, so it will be at least another inch longer by then. I would think it will bulk out if target fed.

Do you have your heart set on a SR? A high end maju bbxb would be pretty freakin' cool.

Yes, SR for me. :)

In my humble point of view 3k on a maju is very expensive in my part of the world, at 20cm some more

Normal price is $2500 for a nice 25-30 cm premium fish; add shipping of $100-200, plus taxes (GST/PST of 12%), and the price comes to $3000. I agree that for a 20cm fish this price is a bit high, but not by much. I am getting a discount, however, and so it is fair.

... i would rather go for a well known farm at that price in the line of a munjul f4 or f5, in the canada you get elkindos and niwans im sure they are up the league of the maju.... how about importing from singapores best of the best... with the likes of Imperial vip red or Panglongs red which we all know are hand selected from indos red aswell.... cheers!

I have visited or met the owners and/or floor managers of most of the farms you name above. I am of the opinion that every major farm can provide top quality fish. It is a question of whether you can access the quality fish at a "fair" price. How can I assure myself of getting a top quality fish at a fair price? By purchasing from someone I trust and have a strong relationship with. In this case it is Jeffrey at Maju. I agree that all the farms you name have top quality fish, and certainly more famous marketing names than Maju's. Over time, however, I have chosen to work with Maju, and to date they have provided good quality fish at good prices as well as after sales support. In other words, I trust them. :)

As importer and dealer for CV Maju yourself, the price tag should not be involve in the discussion from the begining.

Actually, the price tag was in the beginning. I said I wanted a premium at a discount. I said this fish was for me and that I plan to grow it out. If I ask for a $5000 show fish for $3000 that is too much to ask for in my opinion. Canada is such a small market compared to China/Japan; high end fish sell over there. Any discount I get is really money out of the farm's pocket. Thus, I can ask for a discount, but not that much of a discount. Or maybe I am just too soft when it comes to bargaining! :D

This baby has potential for sure, no sigh of drop eye for now, but still have a chance because of its age, the jaw looks fine for a Super Red, Slightly PLG but could be classified as thick libs. Beautiful Red cheeks, with green base and thin rim. If you like thin rim and green base this fish is for you.

Yes, it is the extra red cheeks and nice green base that really apeal to me. :)
I hope that the fish will develop thick frames, that is one more question for me to ask.

Personally I prefer dark blue base with thick rim.
Your cost should be < 1.5 to 2K.

I am in the middle of your price range James, but that is with my discount. Also, that does not include the shipping or GST/PST. Final price will be over $2000, making it the most expensive single fish I have bought for myself.

In conclusion, let me share a little email I got from Maju. I asked about the possibility of DE judging from the photos and was told:

I don't think so, he is just looking a bit down when I take photo of him, scared to my camera :)

In case he has a drop eye, I will not send to you for sure, please don't worry about this:)

My planning is, I will put this fish into my outdoor pond for a few weeks then I will arrange to make video before send to you for final decision okay.

So, there you have it...to be continued. :)

Last edited:

James Sananikone

I have chosen to work with Maju, and to date they have provided good quality fish at good prices as well as after sales support. In other words, I trust them.

Right on ! ... That's how it should be. What can you ask for more.

m_class2g

Sponsor
theo. all comes down to the fish. price is just price after all. we all put our own value on each fish. personally, i think thats a very nice fish. its hard to find a green base red now a days. that type of red had always appealed to me. im sure in due time with some TLC, it will grow into a powerful red given that at 20 cm, it shows a lot of potential.

and regarding "asking for a discount"

you have provided maju with TONS of business. im sure if they knocked off an extra $500 on that fish, it wouldnt hurt them. =) just my 2 cents.

bcarlos

It's like I always say, Theo, trust=speed. There is nothing more important when you're doing business with someone half way around the world than trust. You are a valued client at Maju and I think they will offer you the best quality they can...for the right price. You can try and haggle a bargain, but considering this fish is for your personal collection, overpaying a bit in the name of quality is not at all a loss.