Gutloading Meal Worms?

Arrow

I have tried gutloading mealworms in the past but the pellets, carrots and potato skins just sit there.
Is it because I keep the worms in oatmeal like the lfs does?
I store them in an 8"x4" clear container as I said with oatmeal.
Should I lose the oatmeal and just leave the pellets and carrots in there?:confused:

chen88

Super Moderator
oatmeal just pumps them up, but not really giving them any substance!...you will find the big "FAT" ones are light as anything...I use to pump mine up with couple sticks of carrots in a plastic bin, in a place that doesn't care if it smelled. Carrots will not only help your fish with the vitamins but also hydrate your SW and give them substance when not being eaten up! :)

Arrow

So keeping them in oatmeal was the problem then?

I have a 5gal tank with a light that I'm not using atm, should I use it for the mealworms?

Arrow

Worms and carrots are in.
Lets see if these ones actually go for them.

Tried feeding a couple worms to the jardini but he wasnt really interested so it may all be for nothing

bcarlos

You need to keep the SW in oatmeal or some sort of base, if anything because it distracts them from eating eachother! When I was younger I used to work in a pet store, and we would sometimes take large feeder fish and throw them in the SW tank. The SW would literally pick the fish clean to the bone.

I gutload mine with anything high in carotenoids -- yam, carrots, tomato skin and I always mix a high quality flake in. Works like a charm for me.

hustler

So if you are ordering in bulk what do you keep them in? I always used oats/bran and trout chow with carrots

Arrow

I only picked up 20 to see how they do.
I have them with oatmeal in a 5gal feeding carrots and I spread some flakes in there aswell.

If they seem to do well in the 5 gal then I may pick up more depending if the arro starts going for them or not.

hustler

Here we have a lady ships you 1000 for $35 superworms....
I have a few of those 6 inch by 24 inch by 14 inch rubbermaids i drilled holes in the top and give a layer of whatever im feeding them.... the mealworms used to breed like crazy for me???

Arrow

Thats a good deal but but I just tried feeding worms again and the jar is not interested.
Also the mealworms were only to be a treat, I'm keeping his diet mainly of shrimp(which he loves) pellets and I'm also going to see if he goes for some tilapia chuncks.

hustler

My moms black jar is on just market prawns and beefheart chuncks and he is AMAzing.... Not fat, not skinny and equal shape all around with no dropeye or PLJ. I though beefheart was the culprit of dropeye but she always proves me wrong :)

hustler

picture.php

Arrow

Your moms jar looks nice, how big is it?

I would think that beefheart would be bad for the too.

hustler

Its about 16 inches??? thereabouts lol Ive fed it to silvers and catfish forever but silvers always have dropeye when bigger that 2 feet or so i have seen anyways, unless they are in a 500 gallon