Help, arow acting strange

Rino

So today in the morning i went to check on my buddy to feed him, he started darting around and smashing into the tank, i checked the nitrates and the were almost 0.00 and the ph is 7. , the heat is about 28C .. he's still really young and small about 7 inches..pls if anyone can help.. already lost a australian aro due to is hitting the tank and breaking his back...
I cant afford to loose my BBXB..:(

bcarlos

This is pretty typical behavior for newer, young aros. Limit traffic infront of the tank, make sure your lid is on tight and lower the water level a touch and he will adjust.

Rino

thank you..he isnt sketchy when im around, its when the ball n chain comes around the tank lol, thanks BCARLOS..just worried..hes so amazing ..he will swim up to my hand and rub against my hand ..just so strange.. when i leave for work he starts acting up

chen88

Super Moderator
a couple things you can keep in mind with your young aro.

1. MOST important! Make sure all openings no matter how small you may think they are are sealed!. It's so much more important with a young aro who will jump!...Cover ALL openings!

2. Keep a small light on 7/24...get yourself a cheap 2ft t5 fixture from home depot or some place like that. Keeping a little bit of light source might help your aro calm down when you turn on the lights around them....they don't have to adjust their eyes from total darkness to light and be scared!.

3. If you don't have any tank mates, introduce some smaller fish inside that will be compatible with your aro....this way they have friends to play with and also will feel more secure....like Brandon mentioned above reduce the amount of traffic around him until he is more comfortable with the surroundings!...

Good luck.

bcarlos

Chen's first point is an important one. I actually lost a BBXB about the same size as yours once because he jumped through a 2 inch gap between the lid and the HOB filter. You'd be amazed how adapt the little guys are at fitting through impossibly small spaces.

Rino

Thanks a bunch guys.. I've tried puttin tfb in the tank with him, to try to teach him to eat pellets.. He destroyed them, like the were a streak and lobster dinner. They may have been to small, any suggestions on size?? He's 7 inches now..
Thanks once again