HUGE LOSS.

homebrewed

Super Moderator
If the tank is over stocked the bacteria in the filter probably died while the power was down.

Sorry to hear about your luck. Hope it turns around soon

Joey

If the tank is over stocked the bacteria in the filter probably died while the power was down.

The tank being over stocked has nothing to do with the bacteria dieing in an hour. Thats not enough time for it to die, and bacteria doesnt die from tanks being over stocked.

My guess is ammonia shot threw the roof in that hour without filtration. While the airation would insure gas exchange at the surface, it does nothing for ammonia building up in the tank.

Tank turned back on, and the filtration could not convert the ammonia fast enough. Too much ammonia in the tank for too long.

The tank would have to be incredibly over stocked, and under filtered for that to happen though.

Horrible results, but a good learning lesson.

He was a stunning ray. Good luck with your new venture.

tman

Super Moderator
Sorry to hear but can't you still do water changes in a power outage? I have had outages for more then 3 hrs with no problems.

homebrewed

Super Moderator
The tank being over stocked has nothing to do with the bacteria dieing in an hour. Thats not enough time for it to die, and bacteria doesnt die from tanks being over stocked.

True. I didn't explain well. Without oxygen nitrifying bacteria cannot turn ammonia into nitrites and also leaves room for harmful bacteria to colonize. Thus ammonia goes up

skynoch

Sorry to hear but can't you still do water changes in a power outage? I have had outages for more then 3 hrs with no problems.

This is the great method without throwing on a backup generator but sometimes with the power out this means thier well pump is down also.
I think this would make a good sticky some place as alot of people panic when this happens and forget some things that could help to get them by. If you have a sump even a little thing like you taking buckets of water from it and putting it to your tank could save your fish and bb until power is restored.

carcrazy

I am very sorry for your loss. I can relate to how you are feeling, with the flooding we had this summer I believe my local water treatment plant added something to my water supply. I lost 12 out of 13 of my motoro (3 adults of 2 mated pairs and 5 pups). My one lonely ray is holding on but I think I'll stay away from more rays for a while. Luckily, my 3 aros survived but I lost most of my salt water fish as well. Only the queen angel, blue tang and three eels survived. What a rotten summer and it is very painful to lose our pets. Again, sorry for your loss.

carcrazy

Thanks. I guess it is all a part of keeping fish, there is always a risk of loss. But I am not sorry in having had them, as I got a lot of enjoyment out of them.