Is there difference in SW or FW tanks?

cape

Hi, just wondering. In the market for a new tank and see some ads state that it's a saltwater tank. What is the difference if any? Would one be able to use a SW tank to keep an aro? Thanks in advance.

danfong88

SW requires a Protein skimmer while FW does not. Also SW tank requires more water flow. But other are generally the same.

If you are looking for a SW set up I have a perfect tank for you 220 gallon made by All Glass, complete set up for cheap used for 1.5 years. Comes with overflow stand and canopoy Asking $ 1,500

homebrewed

Super Moderator
It really depends what kind of SW you want. A fish only or full reef system. IME SW is a bit more to setup but can require less maintanence if done properly.

DaiDee

I think Cape is just wondering if there's a physical difference between a tank that has been used for SW or FW.

Just be careful of copper treated tanks and try to remove any traces of it.

May take a bit more effort in washing it out but other than that, you should be good to go.

cape

Yea, DaiDee is correct. Was just wondering the physical differences. So if it was used for saltwater before, as long as I clean it well, shouldn't be a problem for an aro correct? Thanks.