Is this fei feng the larger species?

hustler

I just picked this guy up, he is about 3" I was wondering if this is the kind that get larger or max out at 8"?
Also can you keep more than one in a tank?
041.jpg

hustler

PISS ME OFF..... Someone stole him last night...... but i cant see any big bellies :( I just cant get a break with this fish..... lol

Arrow

I dont know if its true or not but I was told that large ones have a black band along their gil plate???
If so then I've got a large one if there are indeed 2 different types?

snow

The larger ones don't have the black spots on the body while the smaller ones do have the black spots. That's how I go by it. In your case you have the 8" one. I have one of these at almost 8", great fish. I'm selling it though.

rainbowfish

Sorry for hijacking this thread. Mine has some spots when small, now about 10inch, still can see some spots near the tail. Is this the smaller variety?

ffaro001.jpg

snow

I think yours is the bigger one as they all have some spots but yours will fad as it gets bigger, they may stay though. As you can see the one in the op's pic has many more spots especially along the back. Mine is the same. He had the spots along the back and at almost 8" he still has all those spots, none have gone away.

m_class2g

Sponsor
very nice high fin on that flagtail! my ff had a nice hgh fin before but my aro keeps biting it off. doesnt grow back anymore lol.

rainbowfish

I think yours is the bigger one as they all have some spots but yours will fad as it gets bigger, they may stay though. As you can see the one in the op's pic has many more spots especially along the back. Mine is the same. He had the spots along the back and at almost 8" he still has all those spots, none have gone away.

Thanks for your advise, did not know that there is actually 2 variances of feifeng. At least now I am mentally prepared that I will need a bigger tank.

very nice high fin on that flagtail! my ff had a nice hgh fin before but my aro keeps biting it off. doesnt grow back anymore lol.

That was my Feifeng's formal glory, after staying inside my tank with crossback for 1 year, the high fin was bitten off also. Does not grow back after 1 month till now. :eek:

impalass

Flagtail Prochilodus;

Insignis- spots fade away, 15"+ no problem.

Taeniurus- More spots and stays spotted, 12" max.

Had one of these (insignis) in my 175g bowfront. Growth wise it kept pace with my rtg and at 15" became to hyper and I sold it. Catching and transporting it was a bigger challenge than moving an adult arowana.

Have read that when young the ones with more black spots, going further towards the front of the body are taeniurus.

I plan to buy another as soon as I can find the smaller variety.

1goodcatch

This is my buddy Ted's fish
please see the 2 videos
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fCZ-qwptQg"]YouTube - hand feeding flagtail[/ame]

they are in a 400gal.
he hand feeds and pets them them all the time and its so cool to see their behavior change when he goes near the tank :)
they love this man!

Last edited:

Yuppa

Super Moderator
I have always believed it's the other way around..

Insignis - more spots, 10-12" max..

Taeniurus - spots fade and can grow to 24"

its my understanding that the true "charming phoenix" is taeniurus

Also there are definately more then 2 species of phoenix.. Theraputa and others all share similiar looks..

Flagtail Prochilodus;

Insignis- spots fade away, 15"+ no problem.

Taeniurus- More spots and stays spotted, 12" max.

Had one of these (insignis) in my 175g bowfront. Growth wise it kept pace with my rtg and at 15" became to hyper and I sold it. Catching and transporting it was a bigger challenge than moving an adult arowana.

Have read that when young the ones with more black spots, going further towards the front of the body are taeniurus.

I plan to buy another as soon as I can find the smaller variety.

impalass

I have always believed it's the other way around..

Insignis - more spots, 10-12" max..

Taeniurus - spots fade and can grow to 24"

its my understanding that the true "charming phoenix" is taeniurus

Also there are definately more then 2 species of phoenix.. Theraputa and others all share similiar looks..[/QUOTE

Checked my google search ("flagtail prochilodus") again, and thats what the first three hits showed.