jouvenile Fly river turtle

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
There is a fellow in Montreal who was selling one. Only asking $350. I offered to buy it and pay for shipping to Vancouver, but he didn't seem to keen.

Frank and Nico in Holland have asked me to find 5 of them (if I can) when I am in Asia. I'd like one or two as well. If you are also in maybe we can get a full blown group buy together...

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I would never smuggle an endangered animal!

FRT are class 2 CITES, not class 1. This means if I can find a breeder in SEAsia that I can legally export them to Canada. Either someone in the Montreal area is breeding them or else there is a legitimate source somewhere in SEAsia,; I am sure of it. Although my contact says that "most" FRT available on the market are due to smuggling out of Indonesia, I beleive someone is breeding them in SEAsia. There are just too many on the market now for there not to be some kind of captive breeding program happening...

You can be sure I will let you know what I find out in another month or so.

jackson

FRT are class 2 CITES, not class 1. This means if I can find a breeder in SEAsia that I can legally export them to Canada. Either someone in the Montreal area is breeding them or else there is a legitimate source somewhere in SEAsia,; I am sure of it. Although my contact says that "most" FRT available on the market are due to smuggling out of Indonesia, I beleive someone is breeding them in SEAsia. There are just too many on the market now for there not to be some kind of captive breeding program happening...

I asked because there has never been any CBing reported. I was just worried that what I said might of been what was going to happen. Sorry if I offended you by asking that.

Who knows maybe there is some person out there breeding them.

Kenta

Administrator
There are numerous pignosed turtles in the States, could easily have migrated up to Canada

protoxeno

Under class 2 of CITES, does that mean it doesn't require a permit on the Canada's side only has to be a farm thats registered in SEasia?

xbackgolden

As far as i know i don't see any fly river turtle farms around even in south east asia. Heard they only breed in the wild.