jouvenile Fly river turtle

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Yes, I agree proof is needed to show captive breeding.

So where in the heck are all the FRT coming from in Canada?

As class 2 CITES you need an export permit from the host country. Are we talking serious corruption here?

All it would take, I believe, is one determined customer to go to Canadian Wildlife officials and demand that they research to see that the FRT have a CITES class 2 export permit when entering the country.

If the FRT are being sold openly and have in fact been smuggled, the people who smuggled them and the stores that sold them could be looking at confiscation and fines...

This is a serious issue!

jackson

Yes, I agree proof is needed to show captive breeding.

So where in the heck are all the FRT coming from in Canada?

As class 2 CITES you need an export permit from the host country. Are we talking serious corruption here?

All it would take, I believe, is one determined customer to go to Canadian Wildlife officials and demand that they research to see that the FRT have a CITES class 2 export permit when entering the country.

If the FRT are being sold openly and have in fact been smuggled, the people who smuggled them and the stores that sold them could be looking at confiscation and fines...

This is a serious issue!

What you said is true. Most if not all smuggled in to Canada and most like I said come to T.O. from Montreal.

Every store I have been to and seen them selling them had them in the back of the store and would bring them out if you want to look at it. Most of the stores would only show their regulars as well. Just like the snakeheads in T.O. if they dont know you then you dont know that they have them for sale.

I think they get away with it because no boddy checks out what these stores have and the people who do know they have them are loyal and would not RAT them out.

lamsimon

hey does anyone know if its save to use Tahitian
Moon black sand with frt ? i know big als did , but sure if its really save for them

jackson

hey does anyone know if its save to use Tahitian
Moon black sand with frt ? i know big als did , but sure if its really save for them

I have never seen a tank with sand in it when keeping a FRT. I guess they can be kept with it but you might be taking a risk. Whatif they ingest it and it causes problems internaly? I dont know if this can happen but I know it can hppen with tortoises. I would ask this question on a turtle forum to get an experts answer here~ http://www.turtletimes.com this is a great site one of the best or the best LOL

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I think we could do with a FRT sticky...Jackson, you would seem to be the man. Are you into it?

xbackgolden

It not that. It is that it could just be a rumor. Until there is proof it is just hear say.

Yup, problem with exotics is that most of them don't breed easily unlike arowana which was party because the demand was huge as it was regarded to be more than an exotic fish. Now the trend is catching on for Sting rays, maybe it will start catching on the STs and the Fly river turtles too one day.

jackson

Yup, problem with exotics is that most of them don't breed easily unlike arowana which was party because the demand was huge as it was regarded to be more than an exotic fish. Now the trend is catching on for Sting rays, maybe it will start catching on the STs and the Fly river turtles too one day.
Cirrus~
I will try and do a sticky. Right now I have 35 houses to put carpet in in the next 2 weeks so for now I cant sorry.:)

The thing is about the ST's breeding in captivity it has been tried for many years with no good results. I read about this one guy who spent over 2 million trying and nothing has happend for him. They dont even really know where or how they breed. It is all speculation. I dont trust any of the info out there on breeding Datnoids in general it is all proven to be useless.

As for the FRT's. The zoo's should give out the info on how the were able to do it. I guess we just have to wait. I read many of the write ups and it always seems like it's a story and not about the facts IMO.