Koi & Backyard Ponds

bcarlos

Did some work around the backyard this week and moved my koi from their winter indoor pond to the backyard for the summer. Still a few more koi to move, I'll include those photos later. They range in size from about 10 inches to nearly 3 feet (my big female kohaku, photos to come later).

The first pond is about 16X16, and we've built a walk across bridge with a seating area. During the summer, this is the place to be! Second is a stone trickle waterfall pond that houses some aquatic plants and common goldfish. Some of these goldfish are over 8 years old!

Attachments

• IMG_0295.jpg
    IMG_0295.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 595
  • IMG_0288.jpg
    IMG_0288.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 615
  • IMG_0291.jpg
    IMG_0291.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 626
  • IMG_0303.jpg
    IMG_0303.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 648
  • IMG_0304.jpg
    IMG_0304.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 618
  • IMG_0307.jpg
    IMG_0307.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 618
Last edited:

peacockbass

wow...looks like a huge pond....too bad our weather isn't suitable for having aros outdoors...one day i'd like to do a koi pond too...

skynoch

That's great. Somehting like that is for sure on my wishlist. How long have you been building these?

CanadaPleco

I just got a couple of small 4" koi, no clue what to feed them. Hope to someday make a nice big pond like you've got.

bcarlos

That's great. Somehting like that is for sure on my wishlist. How long have you been building these?

My dad actually built this, been doing it a long time. It's an amazing space. Sometimes when I'm on aro fanatics I dream what it'd be like to have a pond like this in a sub tropical area where rays could be kept outside. Still, the koi look awesome and aside from a pesky blue heron that occasionally tries to get at them (at it's deepest, the pond is 6 feet deep, so he never succeeds), it's a perfect pond.

Joey, I'll post up some pics of the filtration this week. Running a hayward 1/2 hp pump through two sand filter sumps and a UV system that I just installed last week. Also running a big airstone off a commercial air pump. Works like a dream.