LF: Custom Sump - Would Like To Make/Order

exoticaquaria

I would like to make/order a custom sump for a new tank.

Sump dimensions:
5 long, 2 wide. I already have a sample of what i want it to look like.

Glass is ok with me.

PM me if you have experience in making tanks.

exact sump that i want made. pictured below:
N30Tank20061078inchestankwith6ftsum.jpg

Joey

Neat looking sump!

Best bet is to go with acrylic, since its sloped like that. Glass would be too difficult to cut to get the panels to slope. Looks like its 18", sloping down to 12"?

10mm cell cast will do it.

Too bad your not local, looks like a fun project.

I like the first chamber, that allows water to build up to the top of the tank, before overflowing into the first chamber.. that will make for a very quiet sump.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Heh Mike, I could use that one too, bet others might be interested. Maybe we should look into getting a few made at a local plexi shop in Greater Vancouver?

Joey

I was curious on how much acrylic this would take to build.. i was thinking it would be a lot, based on so many baffles.

If the sump were to be 60x24 ..... and a max height of 18".... and those baffles were 12" tall each... then you would need 53sq/ft of material....

Now im not sure what your cost on 10mm acrylic would be, but i do know that 12mm is $10/sq/ft there(cheaper then here,yet with the same company)
So 10mm has to be cheaper... im guessing closer to $8-9 sq/ft...

So that would give you a rough estimate on what it would cost to build out of acrylic. ($424-477)

Then again, based on having so many baffles, which would serve as supports, combined on the height of the sump, you could do 6mm acrylic... which would cut the cost almost in half.

If you can find glass cheaper, you could do 6mm glass. If you don't slope the sides, then it would make for a much easier build out of glass.

Also notable, the sides dont have to be sloped at all. I think the sloping is more for aesthetics then anything. Having that slope would make it difficult to put a lid on the sump... also, it takes away from overall sump volume...

exoticaquaria

my guess it would be pretty pricey getting one built here by an actual fish store.

maybe ill email tenecor and see what they can do.

im placing an order for a tank. maybe they can cut me a deal for the custom sump. joey, wish you were local lol.

would you ship a sump over!?

hondas3000

hey Mike, I can build one for you with glass or acrylic but I like acrylic more because of weight. Free labour for you so the material and gas money is on you. I am going to build one for myself as well.

Joey

I wouldn't feel comfortable shipping it Mike. The cost of shipping, and the chances of damage would both be very high i'm guessing.

Are you stuck on this design? would you consider something else?

exoticaquaria

looks like an alright design.

have anything else in mind joey?

something that can handle big bio!

honda. call me. didnt know you can make sumps!

Joey

Yup, i do have something else in mind... something that will handle whatever bio load you throw at it. Im in the process of doing another how to video series, and included is a start to finish filter build. Its another fluidized bed, but with improvements from my last design.

I do like that design you posted though... just looks like it would be a very high maintenance sump, with every chamber having the opportunity to fail(clogging, then you get by pass, which leads to not enough bio)

DragonfishExotics

Im getting my aquarium shop set up as we speak, im too far to ship being in NY. It would be very costly. Honestly I perfer glass for the durability, I have a acrylic sump now and it is getting distorted in some spots and even checking in others. Honestly for sumps im a big fan of glass.

hondas3000

looks like an alright design.

have anything else in mind joey?

something that can handle big bio!

honda. call me. didnt know you can make sumps!

lol, I am a carpenter so I can build all kind of stuff, its just not worth the time and effort build things like this, but for you I can do it for no cost and you can give me discount on ray later :).