My new tank is being delivered by crane!

homebrewed

Super Moderator
I thought I was a hero jamming a 120 into my old civic... thats one tight fit

is the tank going to stay on cinder blocks?

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
The tank will be on cinder blocks for the next few months at least. Once I figure out how to pay for it ( :rolleyes: ) I have to get some structural work done in my basment. I need to put in a new supporting beam along with two posts and footers. Plus, I've been told to get the cement floor cut out under where the tank will sit, and to have it replaced with steel reinforced concrete. I plan on having a 135 gallon sump along with the 535 gallon tank. Then there will be the weight of the stand and canopy set up, plus another 150 gallon water tank for aging water. IF the cement floor were to ever crack I would be looking at a soggy basment come our rainy winters here. So...getting the tank into house may prove to be the easy part! :D

carcrazy

My house used to be partly a store at one time so the front half has concrete floors. In my fishroom I have my 320 + 60 (sump), 200 + 30, 120. I don't think my floor has rebar in the concrete and I've had no problems so far (2 years). I'll be adding another 270g tank soon as well. I hope my house doesn't cave in!

arapaimag

The tank will be on cinder blocks for the next few months at least. Once I figure out how to pay for it ( :rolleyes: ) I have to get some structural work done in my basment. I need to put in a new supporting beam along with two posts and footers. Plus, I've been told to get the cement floor cut out under where the tank will sit, and to have it replaced with steel reinforced concrete. I plan on having a 135 gallon sump along with the 535 gallon tank. Then there will be the weight of the stand and canopy set up, plus another 150 gallon water tank for aging water. IF the cement floor were to ever crack I would be looking at a soggy basment come our rainy winters here. So...getting the tank into house may prove to be the easy part! :D

Have you got your tank up and running yet?

I have a couple of tanks similar to yours (size wise) and have never had any floor concrete problems. I use 4x4 and 2x6 frames for them. I have a couple of 225's underneath the 540 and like I said no problems. A 500 has a similar stand I built and no problems.

My 800 is an all glass tank and although I started out with a steel stand I ended up reinforcing it with 4x4's. The floor has never cracked and I had 2 225's underneath that one also.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
The problem is that my basement floor dates to the early 1920's and is made of very thin concrete (inch or so). With the amount of rain we get in Vancouver, I could be looking at a wet basement if I got any hairline cracks from the weight. I am planning to have a 135 gallon sump, along with the 535 tank and then the stand. It works out to a lot of weight, especially for the key pressure points where stand meets floor.

Long story short, work should get done this summer, tank up and running by fall. But then the winter Olympics are coming, so it might take a bit longer... sigh.

Marius

The problem is that my basement floor dates to the early 1920's and is made of very thin concrete (inch or so). With the amount of rain we get in Vancouver, I could be looking at a wet basement if I got any hairline cracks from the weight. I am planning to have a 135 gallon sump, along with the 535 tank and then the stand. It works out to a lot of weight, especially for the key pressure points where stand meets floor.

Long story short, work should get done this summer, tank up and running by fall. But then the winter Olympics are coming, so it might take a bit longer... sigh.

Oh boy, if you haven't updated that basement yet, then you're looking at some serious basement reno.