new BD pup

chen88

Super Moderator
Well...after a few years of mishaps...ie.. not separating the rays when they were prego and presumably pups were expensive meals for my pack of Aros...it happen this morning...new BD pup from my WC BD's. Funny thing is I had separated the smaller of the 2 female so that to give her time off from the male and to induce mating between the larger female and male..They've been separated for 3 months now and this morning the smaller female that I separated actually was pregnant and gave birth to a single pup!. I think the larger female is also knocked up now too as her bite marks from the male is starting to heal therefore hanky panky's stopped.

we'll see how this little guy does! he escape this morning into the main compartment and wife and kids called me in a panick...he survived the day as my wife fed the Aro's a couple bags of MPs so they will be too full to nip at the pup...lol

chen88

Super Moderator
Here's dad and mom....WC from Oliver...I think it's the 3rd time she's been knocked up luck had it the aros weren't hungry and I had the right ray separated... :) I'll be separating the larger female in another month or two in anticipation that she's knocked up and hoping for more then 1 pup out of her as she's a good 4-6" larger then the smaller female.

Dad's a TI spotted BD.

mom from last year before dad started nipping at her disc..

Last edited:

exoticaquaria

Awesome! Good job Chen!

So where is this pup now!? Setup a new tank?

BTW, need some new pics of your setup! been a while!

chen88

Super Moderator
Thanks Mike, Pup's in a tupperware container within the tank right now....I'm going to grab a larger floating basket to put her in tomorrow for a month or two before I let her go into the main tank. considering she's been in the main tank for the entire day with no issue today I'm still hesitant to put her there at this time. I might release her with her mother in the separated section of the tank...

What do you think? safe for her to be with her mother alone? no room to set up another tank!.

slednex11

Awesome he looks fantastic !!! Glad everything worked out in your favour this time around !!! Ya where's some updates? Lol

chen88

Super Moderator
Awesome he looks fantastic !!! Glad everything worked out in your favour this time around !!! Ya where's some updates? Lol

Thx Bud, yeah...I'll grab a full rank shot thus weekend....not much to update though...same Aros and rays and the lone ST I got from mike.

I've got the baby bd in a Tupperware floating in the main tank....where did you house your pups? Although I really want to release her into the main tank...I'm concern the aros would one day eat her....even though the day she was born she was in the main tank all day with no issue...

I might think about buying a small glass tank setup ie..10-15gal and out her in there and just using a simple filter......

Any thoughts?

a couple shots from iphone just now...the lid opened on the tupperware and she got out again for a few hours....nothing happen but put her back in ....

Last edited:

slednex11

I removed my pups , but I believe the pups were in the tank overnight before I seen them in the morning , I removed and put into a 75 gallon I had running, depends on the tempermant of the adult rays , I believe my large male chewed off one my pups tails ( month ago) and the pup was 7" so I dunno if you wanna risk putting te pup in the man tank , oh ya is the pup a male or female ? Orginal posts you referred to it being a "he" and later you. Say " she" lol , what happened to your CT's you had ????

chen88

Super Moderator
Yeah sold off all my CTs awhile back. Just too many fish in the tank...still too many.

Yeah...maybe I'll go and setup another tank this weekend...it's going to have to be a small tank ie 20gal as I don't have much room in the house for another tank.

I'm thinking its a she...didn't see any clasp or signs of any.

exoticaquaria

Chen,

I wouldn't put the pup together with the parents even if it was 6 inches and stable. It won't work. Parents are too big and will eventually nip at the pup. Maybe not kill the pup but definitely inflict major damage.

My old BD pair had 2 pups on their first breeding. Both pups were in a floating container and managed to get out of it overnight. By the morning, 2 had half of their tails bit off. I told the owner to get a new tank and setup for the pups asap. They are in a 90 gal right now.

I would suggest at least a 33 gal for the pup with proper filtration. 10-20 gallons is just too small. If I were you, sell the pup if you don't have space for a good size tank. It won't end well if you stick the pup with the parents even in 2-3 months time. Too big size difference.

nice pup though! looks like he/she has 3 potential donuts on the back already!

Lots of BD breeding lately! Makes me really miss my pair...

Last edited:

chen88

Super Moderator
Ok...Mike...I was going put back my divider into my main tank and partition a 12"x36" floor plate (tank's 30" high) and use that for now since it's the same water and filtration system....but think it might be difficult to feed with all the current. I'll go and find a set up of 33-50gal for her. I think she should be fine in the container for now as I've secured it with ties so the lid won't be coming off now!.

Probably go and see if I can find 2x2 or 2x3 floor plate tank...

tman

Super Moderator
If you aren't keeping it then just use the floating bin method. Usually they are good to sell after a month of eating. This way you can see it eat and nobody will be eating it or damaging it while in the bin. Cheap and simple method for pups.

Last edited:

chen88

Super Moderator
Yeah, not sure if I'll see her yet. Thinking its the first pup that I should be keeping however not a lot of space in the house to put in another tank nor have much time to put into raising a pup or two in the future....

exoticaquaria

Ok...Mike...I was going put back my divider into my main tank and partition a 12"x36" floor plate (tank's 30" high) and use that for now since it's the same water and filtration system....but think it might be difficult to feed with all the current. I'll go and find a set up of 33-50gal for her. I think she should be fine in the container for now as I've secured it with ties so the lid won't be coming off now!.

Probably go and see if I can find 2x2 or 2x3 floor plate tank...

That works! Grow her out. Best of luck with the pup. She likely won't eat for a few days so you have some time to get the new tank setup.

chen88

Super Moderator
finally Chen, Congrats.

Yeah! I know....lol....I think this is the third time she's been knocked up! Hopefully the large female is now too......guess best not to think about it and it'll happen sooner turn later.

Happy to now have a F1 BD

Last edited:

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
F1 BD, OMG, I need to move my AUL on and make some room! Congrats Chen!

Hopefully this is the first of many and some can find their way to Vancouver... :)

hondas3000

Yeah! I know....lol....I think thus is the third time she's been knocked up! Hopefully the large female is now too......guess best not to think about it and it'll happen sooner turn later.

Happy to now have a F1 BD

lol now your is rare as other bd in the market right now is F2 and up :).

chen88

Super Moderator
Thanks Rich....

I started feeding the Pup frozen blood worms...half a cube twice now and she seems to be taking it in...at first she would such it in and hold for a while and spit out but now she's taking it bit at a time...so hopefully that's a good sign

chen88

Super Moderator
Just got back from vacation and baby BD continues to eat well. I'm going to post a vid I just took this morning where within seconds he take a whole cube of blood worms. I'm only feeding her once in the morning for now and will eventually try once in the morning and once int he afternoon. I've also left 1 sinking massivore pellet in her container and noticed it was gone when i got home but not sure if it fell through the hold on the bottom or she actually ate it. The massivore would have gotten soft enough for her to eat but we'll see soon enough. She's still in her container as i was out of the country but will concentrate in getting a new set up for her now and hopefully my larger female is prego and will give me more then 1 pup which will also be another F0.

Eating Time

Last edited: