New Tank Setup

arl

- get electrician to change circuit breaks to increase to 15 or 20 amps...can't plug 2 pumps, uv, heater and air pump without tripping breakers! :)

Great tank set up man!
Wouldn't you be required to have a bigger wire for a 20 amp breaker specially that the high load is somewhat continous? It's probably safer to just run another circuit from your panel. You can always use a tandemn cb if your panel is aready full.

chen88

Super Moderator
OK...I'm done, or as done as I can right now...so damn tired coming home and working on the plumbing and continue to have leaks is so frustrating especially with so little room to work with. My arms, legs, face, hands well....pretty much the whole body looks like I had a fight with a knife after all the cuts from rubbing against metal clamps, sump, doors...lol...can barely type right now.

Well...I still have some very very minor leaks...more like slow droplets of which I'm not going to deal with anymore! it's hard to get everything watertight...that's what I'm saying! LOL...so I'll get a tupperware tomorrow to go under where the small drips are and empty it on a weekly bases..., pumps all running....I've kept the UV Sterilizer and heaters off for now as it will cause my circuit to trip (it's the heater being at 1500watts). My electrician was suppose to come by today but didn't show...no big deal....I'll connect once I get them installed...I'll start cycling only when heat is on.....here's the finished photos....hope to get this baby cycled in a couple of weeks. You would not believe how tired I am! LOL...too tired to even look at my rays right now..

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0596.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

The Brain of the system...ugly but works!
IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg

chen88

Super Moderator
tight for sure...had to work inside the cabinet to put everything together...didn't know my limbs could bend in those directions.

The other tank will be gone once I move the tenants into their new house :)

homebrewed

Super Moderator
Hard work is paying off :)

tight for sure...had to work inside the cabinet to put everything together...didn't know my limbs could bend in those directions.

Thats how I feel everytime I work on a car. Some times you feel double jointed with the contorted positions you have to get into

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I had a few minor drip leaks with my Tenecor sump for my 150 gallon. I ended up opening up a few threaded connections to add more teflon tape to secure the seal, and managed to get the drips to stop.

You look to be in the home stretch now Chen - I can't wait to see how your rays like their new home. :)

chen88

Super Moderator
Yeh, I'm using plumbers tape to wrap around the leaks. It's working except for one area by the pump. But other then that all is good.

It's quite nosy though so I'm going to investigate where I can find some sound absorbing boards.

chen88

Super Moderator
can you take pics of where exactly it is leaking chen?

I'm down to two areas...after using the plumbing tape tonight I think i will be down to one.

The one remaining is the threaded pipe that goes into the pump. I don't think I put enough teflon tape in it or tighten it enough...again it's a very minor drip...so minor that when it drips onto my rubbermaid lid that the pumps are sitting on it dries up from the heat of the pumps and doesn't pool but just leaves a watermark....I'll grab some pics tonight.

Also, I'm going to transfer 2 out of 3 trays of Eheim Media from my FX5 tonight into the sump so that it can start the seeding process together with me putting in Seachem Stability. I'll refill the FX5's 2/3 basket with pot scrubbers. I'll look at moving the remainder of the media from the fx5 to the sump later this week and fill the entire fx5 with either scrubbers or sponge..

Last edited:

carcrazy

Reeflow snapper 18 ( two if them )

Nice pumps. I use two of them as well, a Dart for my Ultima 1000 filter and a Barracuda for my Ultima 2000 filter. They have been going strong for two years now, no problems. I just bought a second Barracuda as a back-up (you never know). You may want to get an extra Snapper eventually as a back-up as well.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Concerning that leak where the inflow comes to your sump. I recently had a wee problem with "blow back" inside the sump where the inflow pipes dump water into the sump. The water splashed up off the foam pad (above the bio-balls) onto the plastic lid of the sump, then worked its way through the seal of the lid on the sump, and dribled down the outside of the sump. I ended up opening up the sump lid and put in a little barrier wall of filter floss on the foam pad to catch the blow back water to keep it from reaching the lid area. Since then no problem.

Last edited:

chen88

Super Moderator
hrm..I currently don't have any filter floss in the sump...just the form. The lid for the sump where the two 1 1/2" drains into have form seals on them to prevent leaks...I'll have to look at that tonight. The leak at one of the pump is from the 1 1/2" pipe leading out of the pump into the pvc tubes back into the tank...I'll grab pics tonight for sure..

Marowana420

I'm down to two areas...after using the plumbing tape tonight I think i will be down to one.

The one remaining is the threaded pipe that goes into the pump. I don't think I put enough teflon tape in it or tighten it enough...again it's a very minor drip...so minor that when it drips onto my rubbermaid lid that the pumps are sitting on it dries up from the heat of the pumps and doesn't pool but just leaves a watermark....I'll grab some pics tonight.

Also, I'm going to transfer 2 out of 3 trays of Eheim Media from my FX5 tonight into the sump so that it can start the seeding process together with me putting in Seachem Stability. I'll refill the FX5's 2/3 basket with pot scrubbers. I'll look at moving the remainder of the media from the fx5 to the sump later this week and fill the entire fx5 with either scrubbers or sponge..

nice.... glad to hear most of the kinks been worked out.

Seachem Stability is not as good as it claims to be!!! i followed the instructions excactly and still lost some of my difter fish that went in first.

i'm not saying that it is a bad product. it works well, just not as fast as it claims. just wanted to say something cuz all your fishes are so nice.

chen88

Super Moderator
thanks for the info...I'll make sure I take my time...including starting to seed the new sump with the media from my current fx5 and pro 3 ....a little at a time....

Cimmel1

I agree on the seachem stability. I found it worked absolute wonders in my marine systems but seemed to do very little in my freshwater systems. Better off seeding your filter with live bacteria anyway as they are already reproducing rapidly and will seed your filter very quickly.

chen88

Super Moderator
Since I haven't cleaned out my Ehiem Pro 3 in a few months, I'm going to empty the "crap" that's inside of it right into my sump and also 2 trays of the media into sacks and then into the sump....that will help with the seeding rather quick...