ok.... so i finally decided to buy my first rays

bluebasearoilove

I need some advice from you expert with rays here !
i decided to buy some rays for my 550 but i am really worried about keeping rays with my FRT ...
anyone tried this combo before ? how did it turn out ?
i dont want any rays to turn into pizza for the turtle...
my frt is quite nippy he nips on my datnoids and chases my plecos around the tank....
though he looks cute as hell ... he's actually the king of the tank
or anyways i can arrange my tank ? please help !!!!

bcarlos

I've never mixed my FRT with my rays, because I've heard out of all tankmates, rays usually get it the worst with a nippy FRT. If he's nippy with faster tankmates like dats, I'd be concerned with how nippy he'd be with rays.

exoticaquaria

if your frt is nipping your other fish already, a ray wont last too long in there. i wouldnt do it.

its a matter of luck. one friend has a few rays with his frt and his tank is only a 180 gal. his frt is so mellow that the rays climb all over him lol. i have another friend who has a frt andgot a ray from me only to return him to me that same night since his frt kept chasing and nipping.

skynoch

I've been keeping an frt with some of my rays for around 2 years now and he's fine with all the rays except one which he does chase sometimes. Not sure if it's the pattern or he just hates that ray. My frt is also well fed so he isn't as nippy, if I miss a feeding he gets more aggressive. I can't keep it with my large rays as one of my large rays hates the frt and attacks it all the time.

bluebasearoilove

ok ! thanks for all your helpful advice, my frt helped me decide already
woke up this morning to half a pleco head floating around my tank...
as my frt ages he gets more and more aggressive ...

chen88

Super Moderator
yikes!!!! there's your choice...keep the frt or get a ray! perhaps if you are not attached to the frt, trade the frt for a ray?

bluebasearoilove

yeah definitely getting rays, really attached to that frt tho..
probably let a friend keep him with his rtg
and build a new tank for him in the future with fast swimming fish
hahaha...
whats a good ray for a noob to start out with ?