Old Blue base goldens?

arl

Do they exist? By old I mean 7+ yrs. My understanding is that the gold rims will move its way to the core so eventually it will cover the whole scale. So are blue base goldens (RTG and XB) just for younger aros? and all will eventually turn full gold (if you keep them long enough). An example would be m class2's rtg (which actually prompted me to open this thread).
Here's his thread http://arowanaclub.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=945 Check out his before and after pics

Last edited:

m_class2g

Sponsor
i think the gold rims on my rtg is thickening with age. as to how far it will thicken, we will see in a few years. =) ill keep u guys updated with pics.

xbackgolden

Do they exist? By old I mean 7+ yrs. My understanding is that the gold rims will move its way to the core so eventually it will cover the whole scale. So are blue base goldens (RTG and XB) just for younger aros? and all will eventually turn full gold (if you keep them long enough). An example would be m class2's rtg (which actually prompted me to open this thread).

Personally i find that the blue core will be covered by the gold rims as time goes by. Personally, i find that most xbacks and rtgs will have a certain amount of blue shine if seen at a certain angle. Right now, there is no such thing is pure blue based xbacks or gold base xbacks. Its more of question of which type is the fish more inclinded towards.

arl

Personally i find that the blue core will be covered by the gold rims as time goes by. Personally, i find that most xbacks and rtgs will have a certain amount of blue shine if seen at a certain angle. Right now, there is no such thing is pure blue based xbacks or gold base xbacks. Its more of question of which type is the fish more inclinded towards.

I remember reading a thread at AF years ago, a guy saw his friend's dad's aro and it has a deep blue core. The aro was wild caught at Bukit merah. I think the dad contracted several fisherman at bukit merah to get him this BMB and it was years before they got him one. They were saying that the aro was suppose to be the real Bukit Merah Blue and is very rare nowadays. He said that when he saw it again years after that the aro is still very blue. CAn't remember if he posted a pic to prove how blue it was though? :confused:

T1KARMANN

it all depends on if the xback is thin or thick frame

i have 4 x xbacks 3 with thick frame 1 with thin frame you can still see the blue core on the thin frame yet the others look more like gold bars

arl

it all depends on if the xback is thin or thick frame

i have 4 x xbacks 3 with thick frame 1 with thin frame you can still see the blue core on the thin frame yet the others look more like gold bars

Wouldn't all of them end up with a thick frame?....eventually? I think most would call it Rims rather than Frame....I think FRAME would be the whole scale? and the RIMS would be the outside/edge gold layer?:confused:

xbackgolden

I remember reading a thread at AF years ago, a guy saw his friend's dad's aro and it has a deep blue core. The aro was wild caught at Bukit merah. I think the dad contracted several fisherman at bukit merah to get him this BMB and it was years before they got him one. They were saying that the aro was suppose to be the real Bukit Merah Blue and is very rare nowadays. He said that when he saw it again years after that the aro is still very blue. CAn't remember if he posted a pic to prove how blue it was though? :confused:

Most thin frame xbacks are acutally hybrids called Rose gold or tong yan. The true old school crossbacks only have 1 base color and bullet head. Was at my country's oldest arowana farm today and had a chat with the owner. He was telling me that eventually, the blue base from a pure strain xback will eventually cover up. Most of the so called "real" blue base today more of a result of cross breeding. which are either not strong and will eventually fade away.

arl

Yes, I have finally seem them. one color tone.. and bullet head. Something like what you see in the picture here.

http://www.imperialarowana.com/gallery/145/845abba324/DSC_1059.jpg

A few years back Pahang golds were becoming rare, the sultan of Pahang keeps most of them but it's becoming popular again nowadays, atleast the name "Pahang Gold", Don't know if they're the real Pahang gold like the sultan keeps :D. I am thinking maybe Pahang golds are different morphs with the Bukit merah blue. Perak and Pahang are nearby states but they might be from different bodies of water. Kinda like original RTG's and Reds from different bodies of water will look different. But ofcourse farm breeding them mixed up all these morphs. Just throwing out some possibilities here.

Last edited:

T1KARMANN

Most thin frame xbacks are acutally hybrids called Rose gold or tong yan. The true old school crossbacks only have 1 base color and bullet head. Was at my country's oldest arowana farm today and had a chat with the owner. He was telling me that eventually, the blue base from a pure strain xback will eventually cover up. Most of the so called "real" blue base today more of a result of cross breeding. which are either not strong and will eventually fade away.

a rose gold,tong yan or red splendour are just farm names for a hybrid with a xback and a red

in shows they are even in their own groups

all types of aro have a thick or thin frame it doesnt mean they are a hybrid

xbackgolden

a rose gold,tong yan or red splendour are just farm names for a hybrid with a xback and a red

in shows they are even in their own groups

all types of aro have a thick or thin frame it doesnt mean they are a hybrid

Actually, almost all the xbacks you see today are Hybrid, it is very rare to find the original strain coz most people don't breed them anymore. When you talk about pure strain xbacks, there is no such thing as Rim coz the fish is only single colortone. Gonna make a big purchase for breeding in a near future will show you what i mean with some pictures.

T1KARMANN

Actually, almost all the xbacks you see today are Hybrid, it is very rare to find the original strain coz most people don't breed them anymore. When you talk about pure strain xbacks, there is no such thing as Rim coz the fish is only single colortone. Gonna make a big purchase for breeding in a near future will show you what i mean with some pictures.

nothing is pure blood you are right their

but still you can get RTG xback or Red with with thick or thin frame

i have had thin frame RTG what would you say that is a hybrid with :confused:

with most xback you get diffrent core color but xbacks with a thick frame they dont normaly have a core color some would call this 24k or full gold

what would you class the 2 aros below as :D

P1030218.jpg

3may.jpg

arl

with most xback you get diffrent core color but xbacks with a thick frame they dont normaly have a core color some would call this 24k or full gold

]

imho thin frame/rims is only temporary with most of the aros today. Thin rimmed/framed aros will have thck rims when about 5+ yrs and eventually move its way to the core. Well atleast you got your thin rims for 5 years or so while thick rims are already thick even when young and will just grow thicker eating the blue core faster than thin rims. Pahang golds are golden core already so core and rims looks the same. I agree though that there WERE wild caught/pure blood thin framed and thick framed aros as well as blue core and golden core aros. How old is your aro in your first pic, the one with thin rims?

T1KARMANN

imho thin frame/rims is only temporary with most of the aros today. Thin rimmed/framed aros will have thck rims when about 5+ yrs and eventually move its way to the core. Well atleast you got your thin rims for 5 years or so while thick rims are already thick even when young and will just grow thicker eating the blue core faster than thin rims. Pahang golds are golden core already so core and rims looks the same. I agree though that there WERE wild caught/pure blood thin framed and thick framed aros as well as blue core and golden core aros. How old is your aro in your first pic, the one with thin rims?

the aro in the 1st pic is 2 years old

xbackgolden

P1030218.jpg

3may.jpg

Hi there, when i make hte references, i was only referring to xbacks. Reason is, xbacks is a species I have looked into most extensively as it is what I am breeding. As for your 2 fishes.. I can safely say that all are crossbreed xbacks judging from the tails and the head. An authentic Malaysian Golden will have a much shorter tail and a different head structure. As for the base color, it can be safely asscertained under sunlight and not under aquarium lighting. The shade of color of the fish in your second picture is acutally purple but its looks golden because of the lighting. As for thick frame xbacks there is still a core color when its younger, just that the color from the rim will eat into the core making the fish look like its 24k gold or close to it.

arl

Hi there, when i make hte references, i was only referring to xbacks. Reason is, xbacks is a species I have looked into most extensively as it is what I am breeding. As for your 2 fishes.. I can safely say that all are crossbreed xbacks judging from the tails and the head. An authentic Malaysian Golden will have a much shorter tail and a different head structure. As for the base color, it can be safely asscertained under sunlight and not under aquarium lighting. The shade of color of the fish in your second picture is acutally purple but its looks golden because of the lighting. As for thick frame xbacks there is still a core color when its younger, just that the color from the rim will eat into the core making the fish look like its 24k gold or close to it.

You might have a point on the non-pure xback subject. Although I was only in the asian aro scene for about 10 years (20 with silvers), spoon heads seem to have only come out in the last 15 yrs or so. Most earlier xb seems to be bullet head (just basing on pics I see in forums). Breeders must have done something to produce these spoon heads that we see more commonly today. I don't think selective breeding of pure bullet head alone would p have produced these spoon heads. But it's hard for me to agree on your belief that all original/pure xb are golden core only, atleast not when they're young.

xbackgolden

You might have a point on the non-pure xback subject. Although I was only in the asian aro scene for about 10 years (20 with silvers), spoon heads seem to have only come out in the last 15 yrs or so. Most earlier xb seems to be bullet head (just basing on pics I see in forums). Breeders must have done something to produce these spoon heads that we see more commonly today. I don't think selective breeding of pure bullet head alone would p have produced these spoon heads. But it's hard for me to agree on your belief that all original/pure xb are golden core only, atleast not when they're young.

Pardon my mistake.. I meant pure strain gold base malaysian golden. As for blue, I won't comment coz i have nvr seen the young. All these fishes were xbreed to meet customers needs and wants.