oscars and arowana

shadwone

I have a couple oscars that are about 10" inches.

I am looking to get an arowana that will be around 12". Do you think there will be an issue

Yuppa

Super Moderator
I kept oscar and oscars with my aro's for many years without problem..

of course, it really will depend on your fish's temperment.. some oscars can get somewhat aggressive and may not be suitable.. most I have had however were fine..

unfortunately my aro gave my 10+ year oscar a bad hit and burst its swim bladder.. I was sorry to put down that oscar..

(there was some revenge going on - oscar grabbed the last superworm - i only had one left, i threw it in tank for aro but oscar grabbed it.. no more for aro - it got upset and smacked the oscar hard - just once, but it was enough)

If I ever see a full size pure red oscar again, I wont hesitate to put it in my tank.

shadwone

I have a 180 gallon tank. I have two eheim pro II running.

Any aro I put with the O's will need to be at least 12"

CHILLI RED

I have a 10 inch oscar and am getting an aro. Before I bring the aro home I will find a new home for the oscar. I do really like this oscar. It is almost all red/orange except for a little white on its head. I will miss it. But it could never compare to an asian arowana.

Yuppa

Super Moderator
man.. an all red adult oscar with no deformities is pretty damn hard to find, i've been looking for a couple years now and been unable to find one of suitable quality.

oscars and aro's *generally* get along fine...

EEYY

I have a couple oscars that are about 10" inches.

I am looking to get an arowana that will be around 12". Do you think there will be an issue

The reason I said "case-by-case" is because I didn't work out for me.

I tried to add a 7"-8" oscar in a 125G with 2 silvers and green. In less than 2 minutes, I could tell the answer. All arowanas were 14"+

Having said that, if your tank is bigger than 125G, there might have a different result.

If you have a choice, why don't you try other tankmates that will have a higher chance to work. ie Tiger / FF / Stingray / Endlicheri / P-bass BUT except for giant gourami and Pig-nose-turtle!

For giant gourami, I strongly recommend you to start with a small one (4"-5" in size) and grow it gradually in a comm. tank.

For PNT as well, when they grow bigger, they might attack (or bite) arowana(s) for no reason at all!!

Good luck.:D:D:D

m_class2g

Sponsor
i tried to add a 8-9 inch red oscar in with my rtg arowana and it didnt work out. reason being, the oscar would compete for food and would always flare its gills, thus intimidating my rtg and he didnt like that what so ever. lol. rtg would always beat up the oscar. eventually, the oscar was taken out or it would end up dead.