Power Outtage Accicent.

bcarlos

Definitely sucks. I think the more money you spend on this hobby, the more you dread the possibility of a power outage. Battery-operated air pumps, at the very least, are a necessity.

If you ever need to oxygenate water in a power outage you can also dose hydrogen peroxide( 3% ) at 1 teaspoon per 50 gallons and can be repeated every 6 to 8 hours

Last edited:

chen88

Super Moderator
well...with auto top of systems that does not rely on any pumps to rid of the water it might help in a power outage. I figure I'm getting around 50-60gpd regardless of power...can perhaps turn up quantity during outage and monitor..

carcrazy

I never thought of using hydrogen peroxide for O2 during outages, that's a good idea. I have some in my medicine cabinet already. I have airpod battery backups for the airstones but not for the filters.

I have been thinking for quite some time now of buying a Honda electric generator for just in case. It would cost about the same as an aro so it would be a good investment (not to mention diy projects).

chen88

Super Moderator
My thoughts is that if there is a long prolong power outage, any power I would have or need with a gen set would be used for the family unless you have a few. Or else I would be less a wife and a couple of kids after power comes back on! :)

hondas3000

My thoughts is that if there is a long prolong power outage, any power I would have or need with a gen set would be used for the family unless you have a few. Or else I would be less a wife and a couple of kids after power comes back on! :)

It is worst then fish die if that the case :). That is why we need to look for a generator that family can share as well.