rtg and red aro ????

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Brett, I disagree with some of the points you raise.

First, I disagree that you can properly sort 6 inch Super Reds into premium grades. Sure, you can weed out PLJ or shark bite, but if the fish does not show colour then there is no guarantee it will show premium colour when older, just promises and % odds.

Second, you state that a premium SR can not be gotten for under $700-800. I agree with you, which is why I never offer to sell a premium at that price. Since you inisist on calling all Diablo reds "premiums", however, irrespective of size, I will ask you to explain the cost of these Diablos offered for sale at
$999 Singapore dollars here:
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431901

$999 Singapore dollars works out to $785 Canadian. Add on $75 shipping per fish for an order of 20-30 shipped to Canada, plus GST etc., and the price comes out to under $1000.

While on the topic of that Diablo advertisement, can you explain the middle left and bottom left photos of the SR aros? Judging by the tails of the fish, they are the same fish (note the distinctive cut in the tail rays). Yet look at the bodies of the fish and they are different. One has scale damage, the other not. Those photos are a bit confusing.

I don't mean to be a pain in the ass here and give you a hard time. I happen to think you are a good guy and are doing good things for the Canadian hobby. I also think that Pang Long has top knotch, possibly best in category XB's, hands down no argument. When it comes to their small size Super Red's that do not show clear colour characteristics - being labled premiums, I really think the jury is out. It comes back to buy the fish, not the cert. If the fish shows colour and looks good (follow Ryan's handy fish classification advice in earlier posts here :) ), then call it is a premium; if I am told to "trust the floor manager" and can not see evidence myself for a fish being a premium, then am I not just buying the cert? It is hard to have it both ways.

Which is why I say a premium fish should show premium characteristics now. Otherwise it is just a super red.

In any case, time will tell. The only area you and I are really competing in right now is the super red category, and so I will defend my choice just as you will defend yours. I hope we can continue to take this debate all as good sport! :)

chen88

Super Moderator
Ok, I'm being a bit bias on pang longs... :).

I've got my reds and xbs and from their level of shine in both the reds and xbs I'd say they at 6-7" ( now at 12-14") when I originally git them is what I considered to be premiums. Not saying the others are not good but I haven't seen any recent arrows at those sizes with those high level shines in so call not premiums. Ive seen many xbs in the market, so called xbs with only 5th shine, looms more like rtg and or hbrtg, but at xb prices.

Another buy for the fish, not the certs or classifications. But if you buy for classification, better be happy with them, as I do agree that there are no guarantees. However if they already have crossing to 5th & 6th, I don't think they can be reverse when they get bigger. Maybe.....

There's a market for both! I for one do believe in grading, have always so it's not base on this thread.

hustler

Well guys..... I didnt mean to stir up the pot at all...... I just wanted to see pics or accounts of what the maju's usually end up like so i know what I have purchased or at the very least a ballpark of the overall quality before i make anymore purchases. bang for buck scenario....
I really like this forum, and I have learnt a fair amount in the short time I have been on here, Mostly due to the fact all you guys are right here and Im not searching the riverbend for Ketapang leaves like they suggest at arofanatics..... Seing as most of them can catch a green out the reservoire behind there condo with a fishing rod..... :) I hope this place dosent turn into an "old boys club" where the doctors and lawyers get together and compare new lamborghini's and platnium arowanas..... As i will probably never fit in or even keep up...... Im just a simple welder on a budget with a BIG love for this hobby and This fish....

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Yeah, Brandon, it is all your fault! :p No, actually my fault for having a compulsive interest in the arowana industry. :rolleyes: If I lose my objectivity Chen just censor/edit me please. And Hustler, anyone willing to invest in a suitably big tank should be able to get a beautiful Asian arowana without having to take a loan out from the bank. :)

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
There's absolutely nothing wrong with "entry level" aros. Aros are about so much more than just colour. They're a great, majestic and engaging fish no matter how perfect they are. Buy what you can afford. I would never go into debt over a fish nor do I give up my other hobbies for them, I just budget my cash accordingly and buy when I can.

RDFISHGUY

Well guys..... I didnt mean to stir up the pot at all...... I just wanted to see pics or accounts of what the maju's usually end up like so i know what I have purchased or at the very least a ballpark of the overall quality before i make anymore purchases. bang for buck scenario....
I really like this forum, and I have learnt a fair amount in the short time I have been on here, Mostly due to the fact all you guys are right here and Im not searching the riverbend for Ketapang leaves like they suggest at arofanatics..... Seing as most of them can catch a green out the reservoire behind there condo with a fishing rod..... :) I hope this place dosent turn into an "old boys club" where the doctors and lawyers get together and compare new lamborghini's and platnium arowanas..... As i will probably never fit in or even keep up...... Im just a simple welder on a budget with a BIG love for this hobby and This fish....

The best thing to do is figure out what you want, as far as quality goes, then look for the fish. Use the criteria in my previous post. Be patient and look around. There have been some very high quality pieces available on the forums for terrific prices. Someone elses unfortunate situation can be your golden opportunity. Shop around and find a price that suits your budget.

All aros are beautiful! Sifus always say "see fish then see cert".

I think sifus are old Asian men with big ears like Yoda.

Boydo

Truthfully Theo, I was simply making points about the general retail of arowanas in Canada and never once singled out you or Maju's fish. I didn't think you would take this personally as it was not intended that way.

I was simply defending the stock that I personally select, and sell, from a previous comment in this thread - as they are not standard quality as implied. Nothing more, nothing less was meant by this. Maybe some should revisit the beginning of this thread. I’m not pushing my fish on anyone, buy what you like and what’s in your price range – it’s just that simple. I really don't think we are in any type of competition, and I have never made a negative comment about you or Maju fish nor will I start now.

I appreciate that you did some research about the Diablo Reds. Like I have said numerous times every batch of arowanas I import are approved by myself. I only bring in what catches my eye and what I think to be extra special. This style of selection takes a lot of time on my end, and the bottom line is that "special" selection process costs me more. In my experience the extra time & costs involved have been worth it.

As for the sale Pang Long had on some remaining Diablo Reds - that is their choice and occasionally you will see stock blown out to make room for new and upcoming stock from any vendor. In this case it was a special promotion that lasted for one week like the ad in the link stated. It was a very good deal I must say, and obviously the Singapore hobbyists felt the same way and seized the moment.

In response to your calculations, when importing 8-12 inch arowanas the shipping charges from Singapore are $200- 250 per fish this would be about normal for a 15 boxes totalling 300-400 kgs give or take(an average order for me). All my fish are quarantined for 2-3 weeks before re-sale to be sure they are super healthy and eating well. Furthermore maintaining over 3000 gallons of aquariums and 15-45 or more arowanas at any given time has high expenses. Quality food, water and energy cost all add up. I spend many hours taking pictures and videos with quality gear so that my customers can pick their own fish and know exactly what they are getting.

I can't speak for the Pang Long pictures you commented on as I didn't take them. Although the two pieces you pointed out do have a similar tear in the caudal fin, their other attributes show them to be two different fish. This type of tear is very common in community tanks and those who have had or have community tanks will know what I mean. Beyond that, I'm not sure what you were pointing out here.

I think you are a great addition to the Canadian Hobby, and I respect your thoughts and opinions, however, there’s is no need to go to DEFCON 1, just a discussion among friends....right.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Bret - sorry if I came on too strong. Just keep doing what you are doing as you are importing good fish to Canada and providing a needed service.

Last edited: