Sand filter vs sump

hondas3000

So I see lots of monster tank out there using sand filter instead of large sump. Is it better to use sand filter then a sump? I was thinking of using sand filter and fill it with k1 media instead of sand and replace it with my sump. Since the sump take up so much space and harder to clean with. Any thought of it? or I have to use both sump and sand filter?

Joey

This all depends on the size of the K1 chamber your using and how much K1 you'll be adding in comparison to your stocking/feeding levels.

K1 is superior to a sump when it comes to the nitrification process, yes, but only if there is enough K1 to properly support the stock.

hondas3000

This all depends on the size of the K1 chamber your using and how much K1 you'll be adding in comparison to your stocking/feeding levels.

K1 is superior to a sump when it comes to the nitrification process, yes, but only if there is enough K1 to properly support the stock.

I guess the only way to find out if the sand filter can handle or not by doing a test run on it for a week and if the water parameter is still good that mean the media is able to support the stock. I can also use a rubbermaid container and do a wet/dry filter on it just to help with the bio filter.

aaronc

a sand filter works in term of biological processes, while a sump offers both mechanical and biological filtration abilities. always i use a sump for mechanical (mainly) and biological but in addition i use a sand filter for additional filtration. the sand filters are good at breaking large particles into smaller ones when it exits the filter so thats why i run the sump to use foam and floss to do the mechanical work. hope it can help.

Joey

I guess the only way to find out if the sand filter can handle or not by doing a test run on it for a week and if the water parameter is still good that mean the media is able to support the stock.

Thats the beauty of K1. You don't have to run tests to see if you have enough. There is actually calculations you can do to find out how much you need.

The first thing you will need to know is that K1 needs about 1LPM of air per liter of K1. This flow rate allows it to fluidize properly. How and where to place the air depends on shape of container the K1 is in.

1 liter of K1 can handle 5 grams of 40% protein waste a day(with ease).

Feeding rates are typically around 3% of a fish's body weight.

A typical fish weighs around 10 grams per cubic inch.

Do the math and you will know exactly how much K1 you need to support your stocks feeding levels.

With the amount you get, double the number to allow for a good safety factor, and extra ammonia that will be produced threw respiration of your fish, and other ammonia sources.

hondas3000

So I manage to get the sand filter setup with sand for now and I am glad I use it. I mean its so easy to clean with the backflash when I see pressure is high and the tank is crystal clear. So now I don't even need to worry or clean my filter media no more. It is a great and cheap investment every.