sr with me RTG's

arl

Got 2 SR's from last year's fall or winter group buy (think it was oct 08).They're probably not even a year old from tag date. Finally put them in with my bigger RTG's. Looked ok for a few hours but one of the SR's got panicky and started running away which made the bigger RTG's get into the hunting mode. They were wacking this one SR so bad that I have to take him out. One was left but only lasted about a week and I also have to take him out. He was also getting chased and too stressed to even eat. But I managed to take a few shots when he was still there with the big guys.

Picture052.jpg

Picture064.jpg

Picture055.jpg

Picture044.jpg

m_class2g

Sponsor
very nice rtg comm tank. how big is the tank and how many rtgs in total?

srs have nice colour for 1 yr old fish. cheek colour is quite nice.

hondas3000

hmm interesting. Since you have many RTG so they should getting along fine but turn out its not. I guess I have to grow mine out all evenly.

arl

Too sleepy when I opened this thread and I placed it in the wrong section, please do corrections (unless admin doesn't mind it to be here :D).

arl

very nice rtg comm tank. how big is the tank and how many rtgs in total?

srs have nice colour for 1 yr old fish. cheek colour is quite nice.

It's an 8 X 4 tank but with the 3D background it's probably 1/2' smaller all around. There's 6 - 3year old rtg's in there. The sr's were a little on the smaller side when I got them (about 4") so I am estimating they're just a year old from free-swim.

Last edited:

arl

hmm interesting. Since you have many RTG so they should getting along fine but turn out its not. I guess I have to grow mine out all evenly.

It will probably work out fine. It's just that the other SR got to jumpy which made the rtg's think it is food. The other one probably just need a little more adjustment and will eventually adapt to his new tank mates but I took him out anyway.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Right on Arl! Even though you are having issues getting the SR's into the com, your set up looks amazing. I really like the natural background look, and the fish all look so healthy. Wow... :)

Marowana420

wow, looks nice.
does your fish get scrapes from the rocks at the bottom? i have a bare tank and i still always see scuffs on my aro's head.

Marius

Did you try putting some dithers in there, that might take the attention off the new SRs. Some African aros, Niger cats or Giraffe, a shoal of barbs? The setup and the aros look really good.

carcrazy

I used silver dollars as dithers and also tin foil barbs. They both worked out well.

Great looking tank and I love the background! Did you make it yourself or is it store bought? The aros look really nice.

arl

wow, looks nice.
does your fish get scrapes from the rocks at the bottom? i have a bare tank and i still always see scuffs on my aro's head.

They use to have a few when they were still seriously into fighting but it is more from the side rock background. The fighting mellowed down a lot so they don't get scratched as bad anymore.

arl

Did you try putting some dithers in there, that might take the attention off the new SRs. Some African aros, Niger cats or Giraffe, a shoal of barbs? The setup and the aros look really good.

I used silver dollars as dithers and also tin foil barbs. They both worked out well.

Great looking tank and I love the background! Did you make it yourself or is it store bought? The aros look really nice.

Dither fish might work. The only difference is that they're not really fighting the SR's they're actually hunting it for food. The downside of dither fish for my situation is it might trigger the RTG's more into hunting mode and include the sr's in their food list, or then again maybe not.

arl

I built the tank myself (plywood). I am really happy with the flashing concept of my tank. I get to clean the whole tank with just turning of valves and all dirt comes flying out. I change water (about 20%)maybe once a month or 2 months. But I drain out the dirt every day, about 3 gallons. Here's a link to my build
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85132

arl

Right on Arl! Even though you are having issues getting the SR's into the com, your set up looks amazing. I really like the natural background look, and the fish all look so healthy. Wow... :)

Thanks. There's actually only 2 or 3 of the rtg's that into hunting the small sr's. The others doesn't really bother them. My next plan is to take out those 3 bad axx rtg's and leave the good ones with the sr's. My tank bottom is all sump so I can always put those rtg's there.

EEYY

I built the tank myself (plywood). I am really happy with the flashing concept of my tank. I get to clean the whole tank with just turning of valves and all dirt comes flying out. I change water (about 20%)maybe once a month or 2 months. But I drain out the dirt every day, about 3 gallons. Here's a link to my build
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85132

The amazing 700G+ finished product is from Page 39 of the above linkage.

Last edited:

arl

Don't really have an updated pic but I'm very close to comming my small sr's with the RTG's. About 5 weeks ago I took out 5 of the RTG's (put them in my sump) and left my timmidest RTG and the 2 SR's. After two weeks I started putting the "kicked out" aros back one every other day. 5 RTG's are in there now for 2 weeks and so far no more additional damages on the 2 sr's. The one RTG left is the bad one so I am leaving him in the sump for a few weeks and he better learn to behave for his own good.

arl

Also 1 SR broke the whole tail and is starting to grow now. The other broke the barbel way down to the base, but is also growing. And a lot of ripped off scalles. Yep! They were beaten up pretty bad before I pulled out those RTG's. Those RTG's were not bullying them or anything, they were trying to EAT them! They learned that if they jump on the sr's, scales would fall and they will eat the scales :D

hondas3000

I noticed my sr is more aggressive then other, but I am lucky to manage to comm 1 bbxb, 1 sr and a silver with 2 stingray. I don't have any fight or damage fin at all and appetite is all good for them. Your case should be easy because you have more then 5 fish to start with. Get an active stringray, I think it help break up the fight real good.

arl

It would be really nice to have a stingray in there but my tank is not designed for stingray. I could probably get 3 sets of 2 comm from my 6 rtg's easily. that's what I noticed when I have been moving them around. Other than 1 or two combination they will get along well. But my problem really was having a newbie small enough to look like FOOD so some of the really greedy ones love to hunt them for food. You can really tell the difference when they're fighting or bullying some aro and when they are striking for food.

hondas3000

You can really tell the difference when they're fighting or bullying some aro and when they are striking for food.

I am so agree with this. They just open their mouth and bite other for no reason what so ever just because they swim in front of it. Hope your will turn out fine, maybe keeping your water with red parameter and let your rtg adapt to it.