stock tanks?

Benson

Anyone ever thought about or tried keeping arowanas and/or stingrays in stock tanks? I personally quite enjoy the look of silver arowanas from above, on top of that, a 300 gal stock tank weighs under 50lbs, and only costs anywhere from $100-$200

hustler

You mean the plastic bins?
If so.... you can buy them with acrylic windows as well.....
Its been done many a time but most want to see thier 1-2K fish from any angle they can....
Also you loose a fair bit of heat with the 1/4" plastic wall

rudy

Anyone ever thought about or tried keeping arowanas and/or stingrays in stock tanks? I personally quite enjoy the look of silver arowanas from above, on top of that, a 300 gal stock tank weighs under 50lbs, and only costs anywhere from $100-$200

Lots do it. I have a pond 4x6x2. It is kinda like a beefed up stock tank. It is mobile, works awesome and is good for rays. It is on loan to a buddy right now for a temp home. Personally stock ponds are probably better for rays due to the foot prints.

AroNoob

Lots do it. I have a pond 4x6x2. It is kinda like a beefed up stock tank. It is mobile, works awesome and is good for rays. It is on loan to a buddy right now for a temp home. Personally stock ponds are probably better for rays due to the foot prints.

I've found a place with very large round stock tanks but your footprint looks better, did you get your pond in Calgary?

Thanks,

Ron

chen88

Super Moderator
I've considered it but as above posting I'd like to be able to see my fish from the all sides and not just the top. It's also a good way to check on the health of your fish when you are able to view it from all angels vs. just from the top...would be good for koi's and rays...not sure for Asian Aros....

exoticaquaria

lots of people use FGT in asia with front viewing panel. since the weather is nice, most are kept outdoors. theyre pretty nice imo and very cost effective. nice to grow out fish in them. for a basement setup, its perfect but i rather have a show tank for the living room!

21933_640_2.jpg

Last edited:

skynoch

You can also add a mirror on the side of ponds/stock tanks to view rays for health, pregnancy, reasons.

AroNoob

This would just be a grow out tank for pond fish and maybe for rays once the fish are in the pond, I wouldn't put an arowana in one. I actually like FGT but they aren't readily available up here and they're not very cheap. I can get a 625 gallon (8' round) poly stock tank for $359.99 but I am hoping they can order a 300 gallon (8' x 3' x 2') for me.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Check out these "stock tanks"! The blue tanks were 2500 gallons if I remember correctly; the white drums were filtration units. I took these photos in Europe of a build out of a major aquarium.

If any one wants to import any really big tanks or filters, let me know.

Attachments

• Denmark 2009 (1) (800x532).jpg
    Denmark 2009 (1) (800x532).jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 484
  • Denmark 2009 (2) (800x532).jpg
    Denmark 2009 (2) (800x532).jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 483
  • Denmark 2009 (3) (800x532).jpg
    Denmark 2009 (3) (800x532).jpg
    332 KB · Views: 491
  • Denmark 2009 (4) (800x532).jpg
    Denmark 2009 (4) (800x532).jpg
    409.4 KB · Views: 489
  • Denmark 2009 (6) (800x532).jpg
    Denmark 2009 (6) (800x532).jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 488
  • Denmark 2009 (7) (800x532).jpg
    Denmark 2009 (7) (800x532).jpg
    398 KB · Views: 508
Last edited:

hondas3000

Its really boring for asian aro top view as I been through it right now. Especially my aro doesn't fully cross so there is nothing much to look from top view except fat body. But it would be nice for indoor koi or pond fish. Anyone know where I can find 600G foot print in BC.

AroNoob

Its really boring for asian aro top view as I been through it right now. Especially my aro doesn't fully cross so there is nothing much to look from top view except fat body. But it would be nice for indoor koi or pond fish. Anyone know where I can find 600G foot print in BC.

Only ones I have found over 300 gallons are round. Any farm supply store should be able to get them for you but I guess that's easier here in Alberta. Is there much aquaculture done in BC? If so, there should be lots of options for you.

hondas3000

Only ones I have found over 300 gallons are round. Any farm supply store should be able to get them for you but I guess that's easier here in Alberta. Is there much aquaculture done in BC? If so, there should be lots of options for you.

I have co-op here which have 300G and price around $399. But since I go with long term for my fish so mind as well go for something big and I don't have to upgrade later on.

AroNoob

I have co-op here which have 300G and price around $399. But since I go with long term for my fish so mind as well go for something big and I don't have to upgrade later on.

At my farm supply store the options would be a 625 gallon 8' round or a 1000 gallon 9' round.