Structural question

rudy

In my continuing effort to cut down my Ralestate I am going with one tank in my new home. 6x3 300 gallon.

Home is 1957 2 storey with 2x10 joists. It is either 12 or 15 inch centers I cannot remember...anyway.

The tank will be on an outside wall in the living room and the preferance would be no posts under it as it is a drywalled room and would just look strange.

Any thoughts on if this is a recipe for disaster?

carcrazy

I am lucky that all of my tanks are on concrete pad with only gravel underneath. I still worry about the concrete cracking as I don't know if there are any hollow areas under the pad (used to be an old store built in the '60's). As I have about 1200g worth of tanks on the pad, that would be a lot of weight (10,000 lbs).

If you need to use a jackpost for added support, you can always box it in. That's what I would do, I think it is better to be safe than sorry.

chen88

Super Moderator
I didn't take the chance and added 2 jack post with steel lintels from Home Depot under my tank...Cost a total of $160 for 2 adjustable post and lintels...wouldn't take the chance...

carcrazy

Okay dude your tanks are on a concrete slab on grade.Grade meaning compacted gravel.100% of the time now in construction we are not aloud to pour concrete slabs on grade without compaction tests.The ground underneath your slab is super hard.The cracking of concrete is 100% normal.

"their are two types of concrete "
1:concrete that has cracked
2:concrete that is going to crack

You could put 20000 lbs on that slab and be ok.my basment tank is over 12000lbs and is on slab on grade and will be fine to.the slab under it is cracked to fukk but will be ok just because gravel is packed under it.Its building rules and code the soil has to be packed than a layer of gravel has to be packed over top of the soil than concrete gets poured over the two layers of packed earth.The gravel is for moisture drainage!

Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better!