Sump advice needed

Marowana420

I got a 220 and i want to run a sump for it. how big of a sump should i get? and how much does it cost ?

how are the over the top filters? anybody using them?

Last edited:

Joey

Sump size depends on a few factors..

It depends on what function you want the sump to serve as well. If you want it to be a submered sump, with all media submerged and also increase your water volume, then goes as big as you can.

If you want a wet/dry filter, you dont need a very big sump.

Basically as a bare minimum, the sump will have to be able to hold enough water for the pump to function properly, and to allow all of the excess water to drain into it in case of a power outage.

I would do a wet/dry filter personally, and i would use a 30gallon tank.

The reason behind that is, you would only need around 8 gallons of water in the 30gal for the pump to funtion. when the power goes out, or pump fails, it will also take in around 1 inch of the water from the 220, which should only be just under 8 gallons(if this is a 72x24x30). plus all of the plumbing will drain into it, so add another 5 gallons as a max.
So really, the sump will need to hold around 20-25 gallons of water in a power outage.
The 30gal is a nice compact size, and readly available. you can also make the wet/dry hold alot of media(12-15 gallons worth). This size wet/dry will handle that tank size no problem IMO.

You can use that rule for any size tank/sump.

I would make a sump myself if i were you also. It will be a minimal cost(without the media and pump/plumbing included)
A used 30gal tank runs around $0-$30
some thin plexiglass to form the baffels, drip plate, ect, should be around $15-20
so around $50-60 to make one.... compare that to a ready made store bought one.....

Over head filters, can be made basically the same, but can be an eyesore if not done right. They work just as effectivly as a under the tank type. I prefer the looks and ease of use of the under tank types.

Last edited:

carcrazy

I have a 30g sump on my 165g tank. It is full of pot scrubbers and uses a dolphin pump as a return. Seems to be working well.

My 320g has a 60g with pot scrubbers as well. It has a mag1200 pump as a return. Works fine.

I like the idea of extra water volume so I would go as big as you can find the room for under the main tank. The more water you have, the more stable the tank will be.

Marius

Are you building it yourself, or just going to buy it? If the later, then buy the largest wet/dry that you can fit underneath the stand. Always better to have more filtration than not enough.

If you're building your own sump, then the possibilities are endless. You can customize it the way you like it, transform a large tank into a sump and have a refugium area for new fish or fry down there.

Marowana420

thanks

i like the refugium idea, and the extra volume too but worried about all that weight on the main floor of the house. however it is against an outside wall, if i want to add support in the basement what is a cheap and safe way to do it?

DaiDee

There's quite a few guys in the gta that make acrylic sumps. I know a guy in your area that may be able to customize an acrylic sump for you to however you want it.

h.l_nathan

weight

thanks

i like the refugium idea, and the extra volume too but worried about all that weight on the main floor of the house. however it is against an outside wall, if i want to add support in the basement what is a cheap and safe way to do it?

just take a bit of concrete to cityhall and ask them with your address they should tell you how much weight that floor can handle in that amount of square footage

DaiDee

thanks

That's going to be alot of weight. You can support it underneath with a few beams (sorry I forgot the actually name). Basically, it's like a jack and cut a few 2x6's to support. You don't actually lift it, it sits flush to the 2x6 crossbeams underneath your floor. You can find this stuff from Home Depot.

You need to come out more. lol
Come find us on the weekend man.