Super Red not Eating

brp

I have a 8 inch Super red not eating for the second time it has been 2wks. now! have had it for about 6months now diet consists of superworms and shrimp meat if hungry enough! by far the pickiest eater out of 3 that i keep separately. filtration is good water parameters are good and temp is about27 degres constent. started to develope fin and tail rot which i hve treated with Furan 2. it acts like there is nothing wrong takes food and spits it out. Has anybody experienced this?

brp

Thanks for the quick repy I'm raising the temp as I type. If this is the answer should I keep the temp. Higher than 27 degrees? Also Do you add salt with every water Change? Rgds

brp

The Temp. is at 30 The fish seems to be a little bit more active. It just took 2 tiny pieces of shrimp, I hope its a start! So is this just a stress related thing or is there more to it? The larger arrow on the other side is doing just fine. no signs of stress or lack of apatite. I'm worried that he will be stunted if I don't get this wired ASAP. Just a side note when I did get it I had to deal with a swim bladder issue so I wonder if that has anything to do with these problems?? Rgds

brp

well starting to get worried now he has only eaten 1 superworm and 2 small pieces (very small) of shrimp in the last about 3 wks. He strikes but spits out quickly. I have had many Discuss before that did this but eventually they all died. I hope this is not the case. how long before I should consider some other Treatment ? or is there something else I should try? Rgds.

EEYY

well starting to get worried now he has only eaten 1 superworm and 2 small pieces (very small) of shrimp in the last about 3 wks. He strikes but spits out quickly. I have had many Discuss before that did this but eventually they all died. I hope this is not the case. how long before I should consider some other Treatment ? or is there something else I should try? Rgds.

Any tankmate(s) in the tank?

b-man

please re-test and post your all water parameters and filtration setup. i would remove any carbon if you are using any. have you notice anything different about your aro? in the meantime get some trace elements and add it to the tank and keeps the lights out.

any more info on the previous swim bladder problem.

EKen

Super Moderator
please re-test and post your all water parameters and filtration setup. i would remove any carbon if you are using any. have you notice anything different about your aro? in the meantime get some trace elements and add it to the tank and keeps the lights out.

any more info on the previous swim bladder problem.

B-Man sounds right.

By the way you describe your problem, seems like you have some issues with your water. I personally feel that the bioload of your tank is affecting your young aro. Try to reduce the bioload if you can, and make regular small water changes. If your aro shows appetite but does not seem to be interested in his food, you can always try earthworms. I have personally never seen a fish refuse earthworm.

brp

water is ph. 7.8, Amonia 0.1, Nitrites 0.1. I do not use carbon. My 260g tank runs with 2 Xp3's and 1 FX5 I do 20% water changes wkly. Tankmates are 1 good sized clown loach 1-4" Tigranus 6 small cats, at about 2". The other side is 4 Motoro rays and 1 12-14" HBRTG. I Know the rays are the largest contributors to the Bio load but I like to think I run a good and clean enviro. The water I use is just treated tap, not aged. The swim bladder was corrected with cofinement in a shallow container in main tank. The only thing I can think of is if a superworm bit him somewhere in the throat or inside and it does not allow him to swallow? It still has not eaten other than what was stated in previos post. Thanks And Rgds.

carcrazy

That seems to be quite a high bioload. I just have 2 (12" and 10") motoro rays, a 5" tiger dat, and a 8" HBRTG. My filtration is only 2 XP3's and 2 Hydro sponge 4's but I do 75 - 100% water changes per week (3 or 4 water changes per week of 25%). I am repairing a 60 gallon sump that will be added in a couple of weeks.

You could try doing an extra water change per week to see if it makes a difference.

b-man

water is ph. 7.8, Amonia 0.1, Nitrites 0.1. I do not use carbon. My 260g tank runs with 2 Xp3's and 1 FX5 I do 20% water changes wkly. Tankmates are 1 good sized clown loach 1-4" Tigranus 6 small cats, at about 2". The other side is 4 Motoro rays and 1 12-14" HBRTG. I Know the rays are the largest contributors to the Bio load but I like to think I run a good and clean enviro. The water I use is just treated tap, not aged. The swim bladder was corrected with cofinement in a shallow container in main tank. The only thing I can think of is if a superworm bit him somewhere in the throat or inside and it does not allow him to swallow? It still has not eaten other than what was stated in previos post. Thanks And Rgds.

check your nitrAtes and waterhardness.

aros will occassionaly fast, however the fin rot and previous swiming bladder warrants a bit of extra concern.

b-man

i would like to see you drop you Ph and water hardness. has it always been like that out of the tap? has it been pretty stable? also try to scale down to about 25-35% a week water changes for now.

any changes in behaviour or physical changes? if not i would just sit tight for now, you can also try some crickets for now.

brp

just an update on my little dragon he is still on a hunger strike?? I think he is still somewhat ok but I notice he is a little listless now? I can see new growth on his fins, which is confussing because he is not eating at all !! I've tried crickets, live maggots and earthworms, all with the same outcome he just spits it out. I must admit this is the most painful fish keeping times I've ever encountered!! rgds:

b-man

pm = private message - check the top right corner on top of the page under your name.

whats this new growth? pics?

brp

The new growth is after I treated him for fin and tail rot, I would post a picture if I had the technology. So just some fin regrowth.