Switched my arowanas diet

Kenta

Administrator
At each feeding i used to use either prawn only, pellets only or scallop only... fed only twice a week. Wasnt much variety and kept the fish lean.

I now buy a "seafood medley" from T and T. It consists of prawn, mussels, squid, octopus and cuttlefish.... mostly octopus though... fed everyday
My fish love it, scarf it down fast... Id like to bulk them up a little.

What variety of seafoods does everyone else feed?

charles

I fish a lot... I used to give smelts, cods, sole, flounder, salmon, crab, prawn, etc... all fresh except the prawn... And I cut them up into feeding size and pack them so each feeding, all I need to do is pick up a pre-potioned cube...

arl

I also have the same method with Charles I have a mix of Beef heart, salmon and pork meat. All sliced in cubes and one pack will be the meal for the day. Lately I have tried smelt and they just go nuts over if. I'll be adding smelt in their dinner packs now.

m_class2g

Sponsor
i find feeding smelts are kinda messy. i usually just feed prawn and hikari arowana pellets. i suppose i should try other feeds for variety and for more nutrition.

arl

Smelts are not as bad as cubed salmon. Salmon is BAAAAD. makes the water oily too :D

i find feeding smelts are kinda messy. i usually just feed prawn and hikari arowana pellets. i suppose i should try other feeds for variety and for more nutrition.

T1KARMANN

If you want you aro to put on mass forget the frozen foods feed super meal worms also known as marios

i feed 10-15 mario worms to each of my aro daily i have never fed anything else from the size of 6inch and have never had any problems

EEYY

I chat with some aro. hobbyists in Toronto and most of them think that arowana pellet is easy to use but not good enough to "pump" the color especially for the reds and X-backs.

Have you guys heard of it?

MananaP

If you want you aro to put on mass forget the frozen foods feed super meal worms also known as marios

i feed 10-15 mario worms to each of my aro daily i have never fed anything else from the size of 6inch and have never had any problems

So bro,you never fed pallets? I know that feeding veried food is good for you arowana,but feeding only 1 kind of food all it's life will now cause problems? I know you have a nice collection and they are all healthy,what do you gutlaod your super/king worms?

carcrazy

I was feeding my aro just superworms for a while but I wanted to vary his diet. It was a little hard to get him back on prawns but he is eating both now. I sometimes soak the prawns overnight with liquid vitamins (azoo) and feed the superworms potato slices (for moisture) and Kellogs corn flakes! I figure it's fortified with vitamins already so it should work. You can hear the worms crunching away at the flakes when you feed them!

I tried pellets but he refuses to eat them. Since I also have rays, I guess I'll stick to the current diet. What else can I gutload my superworms with?

arl

I too was feeding only worms and an occasional feeder fish on my single XB a few years ago and he is just massive and I think I would have continued doing just that if I haven't lost him. But feeding live food on 6 RTG is going to be expensive and I don't think I am willing to spend about $7 a day to feed them :D. Their daily cost on feeding now is less than $1.

T1KARMANN

i gut load my worms with carrot apple cucumber pellets spiraliana flake food

the worms are better than any other food as what you feed the worms the aro eats so they are getting foods they would not normally eat like veg

i feed river/ghost shrimp once per month and they also eat a bit of prawn which is fed to the rays but their main food is meal worms

T1KARMANN

Arent mealworms like crack to aros though? They get addicted and reject all else?

who care if they love the meal worms it means they are also eatting what you feed the worms

have you ever tryed feeding your aro carrot cucumber apple or spiralina flake :D

in the 15yrs + i have been keeping aros i have only ever fed meal worms nothing else

i have never had a sick aro drop eye gil curl

Last edited:

uberdave

so when do you gut load the worms? i assume you just feed your worms regularly with the vegies right? so isn't that like whenever the worms digest everything then it would just be worms in general? gut loading is for having the worms and the carrots and such undigested at feeding time right?

T1KARMANN

i place 100 meal worms in a separate tub before bed put carrot or apple in with the worms i also throw in a few hikari gold pellets

its like the worms last meal before death :D