The 220 RTG and friends

aaronc

It's been a while since I posted about this RTG in particular as I am horrible with threads. I had a thread on this aro when it was smaller but it's buried deep somewhere in the arowana showcase section.

The 220 gallon was originally used for African cichlids but through a couple years the tank developed some air bubble in the seams. I kept putting it off for the longest time until I got too irritated from ignoring the expanding air bubbles. No warranty as it was a custom tank a few years back. Unfortunately I didn't take any photos of the reseal as I was too upset with scraping silicon off the seams and prying off reinforcement glass strips I placed on as a prior bandaid.

Meh who cares about the story here's the photos of my build.

The highest moment of this build! Spraying the background indoors.

Don't have any photos of me dragging this tank around the basement.

After

Then came drilling, gluing the sump and building the stand...I should of took more photos but here's how it looks.

Fast forward to media and sump planning.

More to come....

aaronc

The sumps came from two existing tanks that I had already and modified to fit this application.

Finished sump with water.

Finished tank with water.

Right side under the stand

Left side under the stand

aaronc

Tank fully tiled

Also added a sand filtered replaced with biological media. Have yet to add uv sterilizes and a better lighting system.

That's about it for tank builds. So now onto inhabitants. For tank mates it will be relatively simple. Dats, polypterus and a RTG.

aaronc

Here's some pics of the inhabitants.

Advice for those with large dats or polypterus, use a better net.

And the RTG - pretty washed out from the move.

There was a mammon but he didn't play nice so it's in solitary confinement.

Last edited:

aaronc

I wish I took better pictures, half way through I remember I should document it. Not much of a camera guy but this time I figured to go all out on the build. There's still lots I have to do but that's in addition to building the racks and re organizing the aquariums around at the same time so progress has been slower than usual.

Reis

No worries, everything takes time. Just keep us posted, I'd like to see how it all looks once you're done

aaronc

Dude how much money did you spend on the sump adjustments and supplies? Lol

I didn't keep track of the exact amount to because it always exceeds budget but I believe the media cost the most. I believe I used around 10 + gallons of the cermedia ceramic balls, one full sheet of matala mat( medium density ), half sheet of poret foam, 5 gallons of ceramic rings, easy 10 gallons on bio balls , 2 gallons of bio bale, 20 + pcs of bacteria house, and some others i probably forgot about.

Glass wise most the work was done by myself so cost was just glass alone. Surprisingly plumbing and bulkheads were probably the cheapest.

For this tank i know the media was a bit of an over kill but i usually over filter as the large fish tend to add lots to the bioload.

energie604

I didn't keep track of the exact amount to because it always exceeds budget but I believe the media cost the most. I believe I used around 10 + gallons of the cermedia ceramic balls, one full sheet of matala mat( medium density ), half sheet of poret foam, 5 gallons of ceramic rings, easy 10 gallons on bio balls , 2 gallons of bio bale, 20 + pcs of bacteria house, and some others i probably forgot about.

Glass wise most the work was done by myself so cost was just glass alone. Surprisingly plumbing and bulkheads were probably the cheapest.

For this tank i know the media was a bit of an over kill but i usually over filter as the large fish tend to add lots to the bioload.
yeah man lol all good, your fish are going to love you man hahaha

aaronc

If only our fish knew how much we spend on them hahaha

That's so true, I already restrict the amounts of massivore per feeding but I'm aiming to use 1 large bag of massivore for a month. Usually last less than a month but I supplement feedings with prawns and super worms.