The wave of having black stingrays .......

EEYY

Watch out! I think it is just right around the corner, especially in Toronto area.

You guys will find out!!

chen88

Super Moderator
Find out what? Don't get it? Are you saying lots of black rays for sale in toronto? The economy is still rough. At 2k plus it's not something everyone can afford so risky to bring in lots to sell IMO.

EEYY

I was told that the following could be the price ranking in terms of high-end stingrays. Just to point it out and see whether you guys agree ot not.

1) Eclipse

2) Black Diamond

3) P14

4) Pearl and/or Pearl X P13

5) CB P13

6) WC P13

Any comment on that? :)

JMorash

I think that high end black diamonds come out on top. Generally it seems that for the average eclipse and average bd the eclipse would be higher ranked, but not much beats the exceptional black diamonds. I have seen some steal a price tag that rival albino rays.

Just my two cents.

JM

EEYY

I think that high end black diamonds come out on top. Generally it seems that for the average eclipse and average bd the eclipse would be higher ranked, but not much beats the exceptional black diamonds. I have seen some steal a price tag that rival albino rays.

Just my two cents.

JM

Albino rays are definitely different from regular black-based stingrays.

JMorash

Yeah I know... A couple of pearls and one maybe more leopoldi. But I've seen some rediculous looking BD, from across the pacific pond, go for comparable prices.

JMorash

EEYY

Just want to point out one thing. The trans-shipping price (ie never open the bag and directly being shipped to the buyer's closest cargo terminal) of a stingray could be lower but involving higher risk of death. Unlike arowanas, stingrays could easily die in the first week of arrival.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Yes, very true. I understand the death rate for shipping WC is especially high compared to CB.

I think the way to arrange trans-shipping for customers located across Canada is to have the source wholesaler actually ship the fish directly to the multiple customers, by-passing the broker/trans-shipper completely. In such a case the buyer takes on 100% of the risk. In return the buyer should get a much lower price. This is a model that I think can work.

Alternatively, the broker/trans-shipper could agree to hold the fish for a period of time. I think 2 weeks is the standard? Within this time the fish should be eating and could then be shipped out across Canada. This model provides the buyer a better guarantee, but should also result in a higher cost. I would think the distribution of loss (should it occur) between trans-shipper/broker and buyer should take into account the final sell price of the fish. If a trans-shipper/broker is making a healthy profit, he can afford to absorb a loss. Not so if the profit is low.

Lots to think about for sure.

chen88

Super Moderator
I've always had wc rays where as they were imported through guys like Oliver and then to me in Toronto...always had success of them arriving in excellent condition and eating same day in tank. The key is knowing what you are raising and where you are getting them from. Rays are not difficult to keep as long as you know about keeping the water in great condition (due to large of amount of waste) and to be deligent in making sure they all eat something on a regular basis from the time they arrive ..... really is that easy...

rudy

I've always had wc rays where as they were imported through guys like Oliver and then to me in Toronto...always had success of them arriving in excellent condition and eating same day in tank. The key is knowing what you are raising and where you are getting them from. Rays are not difficult to keep as long as you know about keeping the water in great condition (due to large of amount of waste) and to be deligent in making sure they all eat something on a regular basis from the time they arrive ..... really is that easy...

I totally disagree with this. WC rays are brutal to acclimatize regardless of who you order them from. Rays were not meant to be thrown in a box over long periods of time. Ask Oliver. He loses many. I have always said you can stick a knife through a ray and it will survive, however give it mild amounts of ammonia and it will die. Check out the "bacteria" threads on any ray board which is about a year old issue. This was killing many WC rays for a long time and nobody could figure it out. The problem is that regardless of the precautions people take to catch rays the fact remains they are usually caught with a hook and a line and even the good collectors such as Oliver can't catch all the hooks in their stomach. I know he even uses a metal detector to catch the hooks and and that does not always work. I have one ray that I have been fighting with what I believe is a stomach hook for almost a year now and can almost guarantee it will be dead by the time I get home. I tried hard but it was a loss from the start. Nobodies fault it is part of the risk and I know it.

Even if you get to the shipping part after they sit at the terminals (being fed) Yet they all come in looking like they hadn't ever seen food. Then they take a 15 inch animal and stick it in a styrofoam box. Even everything goes perfect you still will have a mild bit of ammonia which in my experience is almost always fatal. Not that day but eventually.

Unless you are very prepared to lose buy captive bred and let someone else take the risk... Also unless you are prepared to feed something that will eat more than you can possibly imagine don't bother. They are an animal that few should keep unfortunately.

chen88

Super Moderator
well...let's say you're speaking from your experience and I'm speaking from my of many many years of keeping rays...all WC's and Have never had one died on me...WC's rays these days are max 20cm ie..8"...although some do get out larger...I would say a ray at 8" plus has a better chance of survival then a 4-5" captive bred....

As for WC rays being brutal to acclimatize...I would say perhaps that's your experience....and my comment of them being very easy is mine...so we can agree to disagree..

If Ray are animals few should keep...then Aros are definitely animals that Shouldn't be kept since they are/were endangered....I've had both for a very long time

Either way....everyone has their own experience and preference...you have pups now which are CB's so be happy with that and I'm guessing you're selling them ....good for you!...just giving folks options that CB are not always the way to go....the way to go is the in the eye of the beholder!.

Last edited:

rudy

well...let's say you're speaking from your experience and I'm speaking from my of many many years of keeping rays...all WC's and Have never had one died on me...WC's rays these days are max 20cm ie..8"...although some do get out larger...I would say a ray at 8" plus has a better chance of survival then a 4-5" captive bred....

As for WC rays being brutal to acclimatize...I would say perhaps that's your experience....and my comment of them being very easy is mine...so we can agree to disagree..

If Ray are animals few should keep...then Aros are definitely animals that Shouldn't be kept since they are/were endangered....I've had both for a very long time

Firstly I am not meaning to question your ray keeping....I dont even know you. I am just giving yes my personal experience. Out of curiosity though what kinds of rays have you brought in as I a literally blown away you have never lost one.

You say an 8 inch wc ray has a better survival chance than a 4-5 inch captive bred? I do completely disagree with you on this. WC rays dont come in eating chopped market shrimp and pellets.