tiger ray

m_class2g

Sponsor
How hard is it to get wild import tiger rays to start eating? Might get a 12 incher. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
The guy I would contact would be Frank at www.freshwaterstingray.nl

He is pretty friendly and answers most emails I think.

From what I have seen, they get very big (3 feet wide, at least four feet long with tail) And of course they are picky about their water like other rays.

I wonder if they still have one in the Amazon Gallery at the Vancouver Aquarium? It used to be with a massive silver aro and some catfish.

m_class2g

Sponsor
Yea i saw that one in the vancouver aquarium. Truly a nice ray. I just ordered a 12 inch disc tiger ray. Anyone on here that has actually kept a tiger, info would be appreciated. Ill probably email frank about some info. thx theo!

T1KARMANN

tigers are very nice rays but they get WAY to big for me to think about buying

:eek:
post-43-11870400511.jpg

not realy for the home fishkeeper

JMorash

Hey,

I don't find them too hard to get eating, although they aren't like motoros that just jump on food right away. I started with live worms for my tiger and flowers then moved on from there. The only problem with rays like these is that they are fairly unforgiving. They need very large tanks, very laid back (if any) tank mates, lots of water flow/oxygenation and extremely clean tanks.

I would start a twelve incher off in a 120 tank, or 4' x 2' bin as a quarantine tank, then move them into something minimum 6' x 3'. Then expect something wayyy wayyy larger. Once in the qt, you should treat for internal parasites, that is the first thing that would do them in.

I wouldn't mix with more aggressive rays (like black rays, motoros or pearls), or plecos, semaprochilodus, or really a lot of things.

Personally I would suggest Schroederi, very similar species and IMO much prettier as adults. They are usually available for much better prices, a little bit more forgiving and don't get quite as large either.

Good Luck,

Justin Morash

m_class2g

Sponsor
Hey. Thx for the response but i decided to not get the tiger at this moment. I dont think i can give it as much time since im not at home too mich and i know they have to be babied. Lol. Proly stick with easier to keep tankmates for my red aro so i can sleep better at night.