Too much flow bad in aro tank?

m_class2g

Sponsor
right now i have a 180 gal tank. filters on this setup is 2 fluval fx5's, jebao and a fluval 304 canister. wondering what you guys keep on your tanks and is too much current bad for aro?

CHILLI RED

I have a 150 gallon tank with 2 eheim cannisters and an airstone. I just got a maxi-jet 1200 powerhead last week. Once I put it in my 10" super-red has been stressed out and seems very angry. Now I have turned the powerhead off and he is back to his normal self again. Perhaps I will turn it on when he gets larger or just use it sometimes.

arl

Looking at breeding ponds, they don't really have any filters(other than plants) or constant water flows, yet they thrive. I would say high current, at the very lease, is just not their natural preferred condition. Comm'ers have been using high flow to distract them from fighting so I would say they do bugged and affected with high current. I have a 4 - 5 time turn over rate on my FT.

Last edited:

str8CHINAmon

Looking at breeding ponds, they don't really have any filters(other than plants) or constant water flows, yet they thrive. I would say high current, at the very lease, is just not their natural preferred condition. Comm'ers have been using high flow to distract them from fighting so I would say they do bugged and affected with high current. I have a 4 - 5 time turn over rate on my FT.

Ive seen breeding ponds before and I dont remember seeing plants in the pond when it was empty. I dont know how exactly how the farm breeding pond work either, but I feel that for aquarium you need good water circulation, cuz standing still water will create too much bad chemical ( like ammonia and nitrate ) in certain areas in your aquarium from all the pee and poo that your fish produce, and that could cause your fish to become ill. For me, if it is a samll aro i wouldnt use too strong of a current just good enough to circulate the water. But for bigger aros i would use a stronger current.

carcrazy

I use a little more current in my tank to increase the oxygen in the water. I have a couple of rays in the same tank and they need lots of O2.

arl

I am refering to most Singapore farms and yes you won't see plants when it's empty. They dry their ponds atleast every 6 months to clean them of dirt. Some farms put chemicals (not sure what it is) to the drained ponds to kill unwanted bacteria. They just thow in some floating plants or the plants on the bank crawls to the pond when it is filled back with water .

Ive seen breeding ponds before and I dont remember seeing plants in the pond when it was empty. I dont know how exactly how the farm breeding pond work either, but I feel that for aquarium you need good water circulation, cuz standing still water will create too much bad chemical ( like ammonia and nitrate ) in certain areas in your aquarium from all the pee and poo that your fish produce, and that could cause your fish to become ill. For me, if it is a samll aro i wouldnt use too strong of a current just good enough to circulate the water. But for bigger aros i would use a stronger current.