want to start keeping arowana

reden0909

i recently got intrested in keeping a gold arowana. want to raise it from when its a baby. planning to get a 120g tank and get three 4-5" gold arowana. is this the right tank size and would they out grow the tank. need more info please. what do you guys recomend and wat setup do u guys recommend? and is there things i need to noe when choosing tank, filter, food and such? any imput will be much appriciated.

reden0909

wats the recomended tank size for one aro. and wats the recomended filtration. or pretty much wats the recomended minimum setup for one aro.

CORVETTE

I think the minimum is at least a 180 gallon 72" x 24" x 24" but my 220 is almost starting to look to small.

chen88

Super Moderator
4x2x2 at 120 so be ok if it's temporary for small aro's. It's just a lot of trouble to move to new and bigger tank in a year! If you are only trying out the hobby of aro keeping then 120 is ok for now.

chen88

Super Moderator
oh yeah...3 aro in one tank might get you into trouble...I was thinking of putting 6 in a tank and thought that was trouble...3...is tough...lots of fights.....even at a young age.

reden0909

yea i found a tank thats 72"Lx18.5"Dx24"H the guy said its around 135g would that be ok for one aro form baby to full grown?

Marowana420

you should go bigger if you havent bought it yet or if you got space for it. my aro was very jumpy and lost a few scales in my 135.(only 18" wide) but i've seen many hobbyist in asia with 1 nice aro in a 120 4x2x2.

aaronc

with too small of a tank, you might have an arowana with a dropping tail or even gill curls, honest opinion go for the largest tank your wallet can afford. i would recommend nothing smaller than 4x2x2 but i would personally try to get 6x2x2.

DaiDee

The extra 6" makes a big difference for an aro. I feel it's more important than having any tank with 18" width.

Think about it, when your aro hits 18"+ it'll be the same size as the width of your tank.

It'll be best if you plan on upgrading in the future.

reden0909

oh ic from 4-5" how long does it takes for a gold aro to hit 18"? surely enuf i'll be able to save enuf money for a tank upgrade

icebeast

well im very lucky i had 5 aros in 1 tank b4 they didn't fight, but was gettin bigger so now i spread them 3 on each tank 1 gold tank and 1 red tank both 6feets im still waitin for my so call buddies to take pic for me