Water change

cape

Just wondering how everyone does their water change? Is it just, siphon water out and then refill with room temp. water and then at he necessary amount of prime to it? Is stability needed or is that only for the brand new cycling of tanks? Also, for the prime, do you add the amount correlated to your water change or the volume of the whole tank? So say you do a 25% water change on a 100 gal, do you add suggested prime for 25 gal or for 100 gal? sorry, new to all this and want to get everything right. thanks.

EEYY

Just wondering how everyone does their water change? Is it just, siphon water out and then refill with room temp. water and then at he necessary amount of prime to it? Is stability needed or is that only for the brand new cycling of tanks? Also, for the prime, do you add the amount correlated to your water change or the volume of the whole tank? So say you do a 25% water change on a 100 gal, do you add suggested prime for 25 gal or for 100 gal? sorry, new to all this and want to get everything right. thanks.

Mainly:

- Prime, is to make the tap water more safer for fish. ( http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Prime.html )

- Stability, is for open up a brand new tank by using pure tap water && for maintaining the water && add it before new fish coming in. ( http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Stability.html )

Hope that help a bit.

Last edited:

bcarlos

Once a tank is established, I never add stability. I add prime for the new quantity of water coming in (in your example, 25% new) and, if the fish are newer to the tank, a small handful of aquarium salt does a body good.

chen88

Super Moderator
I do 30-40% water change twice per week and add 3-4 caps of Prime...water straight out of tap into tank....

skynoch

Drip system is the easiest and most stable I find for my fish but for my 2 tanks that aren't on a drip system I syphon out 25-30% then add enough prime for the full tank volume,stir, and refill with tank temp water. Amount of waterchanges will vary on tank size and bioload.

h.l_nathan

For me i do 50% WC weekly for i have large bioload. and prime i dont measure no more i just eyeballed. little bit more or less wont hurt.

rudy

Drip system is the easiest and most stable I find for my fish but for my 2 tanks that aren't on a drip system I syphon out 25-30% then add enough prime for the full tank volume,stir, and refill with tank temp water. Amount of waterchanges will vary on tank size and bioload.

Anybody who has tanks not on a drip system has no idea what they are missing.

arl

vacuum my tank every night, take out less than 1% of water volume and replace with straight tap water. do about 10% water change every 2 to 3 months. And I shut off my filter pump every night for about 8 hrs. Also nothing added on those 10% water chnges. I use to put prime but not anymore I just let it sit over night during tank shut off time.

Last edited:

letsgofishn

Anybody who has tanks not on a drip system has no idea what they are missing.

I know what I am missing, time.... I wish I would have visited Scott setup before I setup mine system. Next time or next house it will be a drip system.

I use Seachem Safe, WC x 2/week @ 130 - 150 gallons with aged water at 80 F.

Last edited: