Water chiller

h.l_nathan

does anyone here uses 1 or know of a good reliable water chiller for aquariums.
my waters been getting heated up quite a bit lately and i'm looking for some info about water chillers.

Marius

If you have heaters going... cut those first :). During the summer I usually did not use any heaters.

To answer your question, not really sure which brand is worth the money.

h.l_nathan

Heaters been off for a while now. its just my pumps are putting more heat in the tank than i thought. i just need something to cool it down by a few degree celcius. So my babies can feel more comfortable.

h.l_nathan

yeah but reefers that has tank size like mine spends 3g for their chiller.
I just need one for summer time use only.
I might just go and buy an air con and put it in my sump room for 400

Marius

yeah but reefers that has tank size like mine spends 3g for their chiller.
I just need one for summer time use only.
I might just go and buy an air con and put it in my sump room for 400

Easiest thing to do, if you do it religiously is ICE CUBES. :)

You don't need a reefer's chiller. Give me a couple days to come over and check the pump model. Once you figure out the energy output of the pump you know the kind of chiller you need, but you don't need a 3k one for sure :)... you have no Metal halides to cook your tank man :)

h.l_nathan

yeah but my 2 pumps are putting out alot of heat.
i tried ice cubes but it only helps for a little while.
my pumps are about 400w each. 1 is 1700gph and the other is 2000gph.
I think i'm just going to buy an AC and install it to blow on the glass of my sump.

Marius

yeah but my 2 pumps are putting out alot of heat.
i tried ice cubes but it only helps for a little while.
my pumps are about 400w each. 1 is 1700gph and the other is 2000gph.
I think i'm just going to buy an AC and install it to blow on the glass of my sump.

Yup, that would work.

bksze

rather than using ice cubes . . . have you thought of freezing say a 4L ice cream bucket of water and throwing that in the sump?

the exact volume of ice you throw in there would need to be fine tuned by trial and error but that would give you a longer cooling effect than individual ice cubes.

h.l_nathan

rather than using ice cubes . . . have you thought of freezing say a 4L ice cream bucket of water and throwing that in the sump?

thanks for the reply, but i tried 6L everydayand it only helps a bit.
I think rather than waisting time frezzing ice bags, i'm just going to install an ac for the sump alone.
Its about 25C outdoors, but im not waiting around until the weather reaches 33C then worry about the heat in my tank.

T1KARMANN

mmmmmm i maybe wrong but heats have thermostats so if the temp is hot they shouldn't come on unless they are broken

h.l_nathan

the heat has been unpluged for about a month now.
so i guess you're wrong.
T1 so when you going to send that pup my way

carcrazy

I used a fan to blow across my 130g reef and it cooled the tank by 4 degrees. I'm going to have to do that on my larger tanks as the temp in the house today is 86 degrees. I think its time to hook my central air that is just sitting outside (I keep putting it off as I keep buying more fish!).

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
the heat has been unpluged for about a month now.
so i guess you're wrong.
T1 so when you going to send that pup my way

Not to hi-jack this thread, but I asked first! :D Seriously though, maybe we can arrange a group-buy one day from the guys in Holland? ;)

Now back to your thread. I think a cheap $300 AC unit from Costco or Homedepot might do the trick? :)

h.l_nathan

Theo a group buy for
yeah thats what im doing but i deen some lace to exhaust the hot air. my sump is underneath the stairs and its all metal and concrete.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Here is an idea. My kids' school raises baby salmon somtimes, but they have trouble keeping the tank cool; so they run a garden hose from outside, snake it inside the 100 gallon aquarium and then coil it a few times inside the tank (under some rocks) and then have it exit the tank; the hose then runs outside the building again. The hose is left running 24/7. It works to keep the tank cool. A very simple, (but maybe not the prettiest) way to chill a tank.

T1KARMANN

the pup has been sold i was just looking after it for a few days :D

the thing is with heaters you can unplug them if you want but if they are working right and you have it set at say 80 then they shouldnt turn on unless the temp drops below 80

h.l_nathan

Here is an idea. My kids' school raises baby salmon somtimes, but they have trouble keeping the tank cool; so they run a garden hose from outside, snake it inside the 100 gallon aquarium and then coil it a few times inside the tank (under some rocks) and then have it exit the tank; the hose then runs outside the building again. The hose is left running 24/7. It works to keep the tank cool. A very simple, (but maybe not the prettiest) way to chill a tank.

you still haven't tell me what kind of group order.
The water down here in montreal is warm during the summer months so thats not going to help.
Also i got a water meter.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
So much for the garden hose idea. :rolleyes:

As for a group order, sometime within the next year I want to get some Leos. If I had my choice I would order from Frank and Nico at www.freshwaterstingray.nl , or maybe go down to Brazil in person and see what I can find...but that will be another thread.

So, back to your need to cool your tank down somehow...