waterchanges

Juice604

so i was just curious of members waterchange schedules

i do a 50 -60% weekly religiously , and was thinking of doing maybe a 50% every 3-4 days ?

does anybody think this is a bad idea ?

stock consists of :

large frt ,14 inch hbrtg , 12 inch dat , 12 inch ornate and some redhooks
all in a ;
<210gal> fx5 -eheim 2280 - ac110

:D

Joey

Approx 50% every 3-4 days for me.. sometime more often, sometimes not as often... i never go longer than a week without one.

jsodwi

I have an auto changer on my 750gallon. It does 70g per day 6 days a week and an additional 70g monday wednesday and friday. So doing roughly 630 gallons per week

skynoch

I'm about 35-40% every day on my main tank. Which I dropped the level to about 1800 gallons right now. So somewhere around 600-800 gallons a day in that tank alone.

Juice604

I have an auto changer on my 750gallon. It does 70g per day 6 days a week and an additional 70g monday wednesday and friday. So doing roughly 630 gallons per week

nice ... so when u use a autochanger , do you have to be there while its running ?? might be a dumb question ... :confused:

skynoch

wow .. how long does that take ?

It's on a drip system so it's a carefree procedure. I just set the incoming waterflow, set the level on the tank for the pumpout or let it go to the overflow if I have the tank at full height. Life is simple! :)

Juice604

hey juice ya big stink..

what happend to all them loaches!!!!

haha for somebody all over these forums , u sure missed it lol :rolleyes:

i sold off the 3 smaller 8 inchers and rehomed the 5 jumbos in my buddys 108gal , frt has become very nippy and i needed to reduce bio as well !@!

:cool:

Juice604

just added a new fx5 today , with 2 baskets of bio-max and 1 basket filled with seachem purigen !!

so filtration is up to 1 eheim 2280 stuffed with bio balls , 2 fx5s ...

i think its a great improvement until im ready for a sump !@!

hondas3000

just added a new fx5 today , with 2 baskets of bio-max and 1 basket filled with seachem purigen !!

so filtration is up to 1 eheim 2280 stuffed with bio balls , 2 fx5s ...

i think its a great improvement until im ready for a sump !@!

I learn from the past, you can add tons of filtration but nothing compare to water change. Filter is pretty much good for bacteria it does very little to water quality IMO.

Juice604

I learn from the past, you can add tons of filtration but nothing compare to water change. Filter is pretty much good for bacteria it does very little to water quality IMO.

ya of course , i wasnt trying to do less wcs , just keep tons of filtration .. ;)

snow

here is another question ..

who turns filters /sumps off during waterchanges

pros and cons ..welcomed

When I had my tank running to a sump I turned the filters off. Now that I use my Fx5's I still turn them off because the water goes to low and the filters will run dry which is not good.

Joey

here is another question ..

who turns filters /sumps off during waterchanges

pros and cons ..welcomed

You should always turn you pumps off if your running a sump...

If not, you'll run the sump dry if your changing more water that the operating level in the sump....

Turning everything off is generally a good idea when working on the tank though.

Joey

good Water quality= Zero ammonia, zero nitrite, and low nitrates. Everything else, consistent a stable.

This is exactly what bacteria is for....

Your filtration is whats responsible for water quality.. not water changes.

Water changes do contribute to water quality, but not as much as filtration.

Both are extremely important in this hobby..... with filtration being the number one most important aspect to learn.... why? because this is where nitrification takes place....
Water changes takes a very close second...

Knowing what each means and does is very important... just doing it, wont cut it.