What do you feed your rays?

rudy

What does everyone feed their rays? I feed mine exclusively shrimp.
I used to feed them pellets but Massivore but its hard to get now, nls give rays the shits in my experience. I find smelts make my tank oily.

Just wondering about others feeding habits.

Boydo

2mm NLS, mysis, Blood worm, finely chopped prawns to the little guys and pups.

NLS Waffers and a little bit of chopped prawns and fish fillets for the larger guys.

I've seen the best growth and color when NLS is in the mix.

I would never feed "corn" i vore to any of my fish.

rudy

Should mention never thaw my shrimp or chop them either.I keep my rays under pretty brutal conditions. Lol

hondas3000

I feed my ray prawn, fish fillets and NLS wafer. The wafer sure give the ray some mass. I just finish 1 bucket of NLS wafer and notice a big change in ray size.

chen88

Super Moderator
I can't feed anything floating in my tank unless I turn off my sump every time I feed.... I guess your rays feed on the pellets when it gets to the side of the tank? Video please.

rudy

You feed your rays floating pellets? That is new to me Eric. Got a video?

Btw I should clarify it is not that I don't believe you. I have just never seen an arrow trained on floating food. Cool trick and I want to see it!

EEYY

Btw I should clarify it is not that I don't believe you. I have just never seen an arrow trained on floating food. Cool trick and I want to see it!

It's okay.

I was exactly in your position when I've heard of rays eating floating-type Koi food.

In terms of training rays coming up for food, it's much harder than training Tigers to do the same trick.

For Tigers, they will start to eat as long as other tankmates starting to eat pellets. For Rays, in my observation, they just don't like to come up even you have a lot of food floating around. I started training them when they were about 5" - 6" in diameter.

Maybe a photo later on then.

Last edited:

EEYY

On top of that, if you can get one single stingray coming up for food, other rays (in the same tank) will follow. :):)

EEYY

You feed your rays floating pellets? That is new to me Eric. Got a video?

A quick photos of this ray coming up to "suck" pellets in her mouth.

Enjoy!!

DSC05261.jpg

Last edited:

hondas3000

It is possible as long as you don't have over flow filter. I used to have them on aro stick when I train my aro and my ray come up for it, since ray can sense the food so it will swim up. Now with the sump everything will get flow away before ray can even sense it :(.