What to do when power out for long time

ahok

Hi guys,
Just in case :rolleyes:
What would you do with your comm. tank when there is a power out in your area for a long period of time? How to help those aros to get some air in the tank?

hondas3000

I use a Penn Plax Airpod which is a battery backup air supply that runs on AC until the power goes out. It then automatically switches to DC power to run two large air stones for up to 150 hours. I paid $75 for it and it was worth it for the peace of mind.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/5852/product.web

it is good that how it run on batteries but the info sound unreal. Only use 4 D batteries and can last 150 hours? which use less power then a flash light? in this case then how strong the pump will be and how many gallon can it handle? I am on a look out for gasoline generator, still don't know what to do if the power is out and I am not home?

carcrazy

I haven't tested it for any great length of time but it definitely works well on batteries. They state that it is good for tanks up to 55 g but I think that is highly under rated. I have them on three of my tanks (they have rays) and would recommend them. For the price, it can't hurt.

I am also thinking of getting a Honda generator as a backup, as long as I'm at home to turn it on. I figure the airpods would give me enough time to get home to do that.

ahok

Thanks Carcrazy. I asked that because I know a guy telling me that he had a full saltwater fishtank and there was a power out and he was not at home so all of his fishes were gone, he got so sad that he sold the tank and of his accessories and did not want to start up another one.
I don't know how long the power was out but that kind of thing worries me when I have some aros in the tank and I will be going away for 3 weeks in October.

chen88

Super Moderator
i just ordered one of the penn plax..from BA online...should arrive in a couple of days...never can be too carefull with expensive fish.....the cost of the pump vs. your investment of the equipment and fish is a no brainer....

Eddio

Hey guys,

I just have my skimmer and a filter connected to a backup battery.

You can pretty much use any backup battery power pack you find. I use APC Battery Backup. It basically connects to AC power to charge up the battery and when the power goes out, it switches to the lithium battery. I got mine on sale at Walmart I believe for $50.

If you only connect a skimmer or pump/filter, you should be fine for a day or so. And when the power kicks back in, it recharges the battery and reconnects to AC. Very convenient.

Just don't expect it to power your MH's or heaters for long.

hondas3000

is there any gasoline generator out there that do auto on when our power is off beside the backup batteries? I am having a few big tank and don't see my point of buying 1 backup batteries for each. The only concern we all have is the power is out and we are not home. If we are home then there is many things we can do.

shadwone

This may only deal with power flickers...your APC batteries may not last long with your skimmer and filter. As well over time, the batteries will degrade.

Hey guys,

I just have my skimmer and a filter connected to a backup battery.

You can pretty much use any backup battery power pack you find. I use APC Battery Backup. It basically connects to AC power to charge up the battery and when the power goes out, it switches to the lithium battery. I got mine on sale at Walmart I believe for $50.

If you only connect a skimmer or pump/filter, you should be fine for a day or so. And when the power kicks back in, it recharges the battery and reconnects to AC. Very convenient.

Just don't expect it to power your MH's or heaters for long.

chen88

Super Moderator
is there any gasoline generator out there that do auto on when our power is off beside the backup batteries? I am having a few big tank and don't see my point of buying 1 backup batteries for each. The only concern we all have is the power is out and we are not home. If we are home then there is many things we can do.

Generators are very noisy and can't be kept indoors with the fumes...the Penn Plax back up is good and being only around $60-70....it will be cheaper then a generator anyways....you just want enough aeration in your tanks to last a day or two....if it's going to be days without power....well...gas will be less as well.

ahok

Well, we just had a nasty storm in Edmonton on Saturday night and some of our area was without power for this whole weekend so I guess even with 8 hours of batteries still would not help those aros anyway.

arl

When I was still using the noisy mag36 pump I shut it down for 10 hrs every night (it's my wife's idea not mine) and sometimes I forget to turn it on so my tank won't have any filter, water movement or earation for 20 + hrs. I didn't notice any bad effects on my aros or gasping for air and I don't think they were stunted or anything, they're still as heavy eaters as always. There's 6 of them in a 700g tank. It could be the water volume that made them ok even with these shutdowns and clean vacuumed gravel also helped a lot. I would say the longest they were with out any water movement is about 30 hrs.

ahok

Thanks Arl. That's the answer I want to see and have some reassuring about the power outage for certain # of hours.

h.l_nathan

back up

Well, we just had a nasty storm in Edmonton on Saturday night and some of our area was without power for this whole weekend so I guess even with 8 hours of batteries still would not help those aros anyway.

it lasted me 6 hours cause i was running a 2000gph pump and a 1000w heater. If you're gonna run something smaller i think an 1800w batery pack would do just fine